feb 15 2014 06:22 Chris Williams <ch...@clwill.com>:

> And how do they do that?  How does the server know the user's page width?
> By their going to m.example.com as opposed to example.com.  Or with JS…

Javascript analysis of screen type will take care of a majority of users and
feed the relevant data to the server-side web application. In my case I serve
another style sheet. People surfing with javascript turned off are probably in
the single digits for a majority of web sites and a vast majority of those on
non-mobile type of devices.

The default to serve to people surfing with javascript turned off has to be
handled with some care per site. I have zero mobile users on all my sites
surfing without javascript on mobile type devices (less than 1% on other
devices with JS off). By logic then I should default to the desktop site.
However, I default to the mobile site, it being my main focus.

Anyway, this means my non-mobile device type users get exactly the same content
on the exactly same site as mobile-type device users, only different styles.
This same site thing is more important than fringe user cases IMHO.