> El 17/02/2014, a las 11:01, Philip Taylor escribió:
>
> Peter H. wrote:
>> I've always had a problem understanding why <em> and <strong> are
>> supposedly more semantic than <i> and <b>.
>
> Because <em> means "emphasised" and <strong> means "strongly emphasised"
> (semantic, saying nothing about how they will be rendered) whilst <i> means
> "set in italics" and <b> means "set in bold" (presentational, focussing
> solely on presentation and saying nothing whatsoever about semantics).  There
> is nothing "supposedly" about it; the older tags addressed presentation, the
> more modern ones address semantics.
>
> Philip Taylor

What you say is evidently true, but my point is that there are many cases where
you want to distinguish words within a text without necessarily implying
emphasis.

It's also true that the browser by default draws an italic font for 'emphasis'
and a bold font for 'strong' so the result is equally presentational. Dunno why
they couldn't have left it well alone, stuck with 'i' and 'b' and not created
another can of worms.

Peter