From: css-d-boun...@lists.css-discuss.org
[mailto:css-d-boun...@lists.css-discuss.org] On Behalf Of Philip Taylor
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2014 2:02 PM
To: Robert A. Rosenberg
Cc: CSS-Discuss Discuss
Subject: Re: [css-d] Will the unsemantic HTML elements B and I be soon phased
out?

Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:

> the visual presentation (ignoring screwing with the em->i and
> strong->b mappings via CSS) but at AUDIO (ie: Screen Reader) presentation.

I would respectfully disagree.  Whereas <b> and <i> were targetted specifically
at visual rendering (since they denote "bold" and "italic", which are not
inherently meaningful for other media), <em> and <strong> are targetted at
/all/ forms of rendering, since "emphasised" and "strongly emphasised" are
media-neutral.  They do, of course, work well with audio renderers but equally
well with visual renderers.

This is, I believe, an important point, because if it is not stressed, those
writing for purely visual media may still perceive no need to use <em> and
<strong>; it would have the unfortunate effect of relegating them to
second-class citizens in the markup world, whereas in fact it is <i> and <b>
(and their ilk) that need to be relegated, then deprecated, and finally
forgotten.

> Of course, the text-to-speech
> mapping could in theory treat i the same way as it treats em,

Yes, it /could/; but it would be guessing in the dark.  There is no way to know
them to be emphasised or not from the markup alone.

Philip Taylor