On Jul 24, 2014, at 8:40 AM, Chris Rockwell <ch...@chrisrockwell.com> wrote:

> I don't think you're recognizing that em's inherit from their parent.
>
> - #header-logo is a child of <h1>
> - <h1> has a font-size of 2em (set by user agent stylesheet)
> - #header-logo therefore has a base font-size of 2em, or 32px (assuming 16px
> is the base)
> - Padding #header-logo by 1.25em is equal to (32 * 1.25)px.
>
> Make sense?
>
> If you want to pad it 20px (1.25em of document base font size), you would
> need to set padding-left to 0.625em
>
> Hopefully I haven't muddied the waters.

No, actually you have un-muddied the waters. So I “did this to myself” in a
sense, by wrapping that logo in an h1..

So, I either have to keep track of the math, or…is there another, better way I
should have built that lock-up?

I guess I was going for better SEO by wrapping my logo in an h1 which, now that
I re-examine, seems like pretty weak sauce…

Perhaps I’d best wrap the logo in a regular div with an id of ‘header-logo’  ?

John