2014-09-17 0:11, John wrote:

If rem units are for font size and margins and padding get % values,
does it get fairly hairy knowing what % you need for your
margin/padding?

Yes. Or, rather, impossible. You would need to make a guess and go wrong often.

I guess through the use of descendent selectors, you dial in on the
correct % value for each instance?

What?

am I making this out to be more difficult than it really is?

Yes. Use consistent units. If you really want pixels (thinking that your sizes fit everyone), use px. If you want dimensions that adapt to the user’s chosen font size, use em (the rem tends to cause confusion, and at best, it just lets you avoid some calculations). Percentages have their use, but for margin and padding, they are mostly unsuitable. The padding between text and the edge of an element should relate to the font size, not the total width of something.

Yucca