IMHO you don't use a bg img that big. Maybe a bg img that's 1280x1024 or
something close, compress the snot out of it with a lossless compression
tool and use background-size:cover; with an acceptable fallback for
browsers that don't support background-size. Of course, this is only for
desktop.

At the very least, set up an MQ for a min-width of 4k so that monstrous img
doesn't get delivered unless someone can actually use it.