I might muddy the waters here, but I'll try to explain how I interpreted
the goal.  Consider a use-case in which your page has a long list of
anchors (imagine a sticky sidebar which scrolls with the user).  The goal
(in my contrived scenario) would be to gray out the anchor which links to
the targeted element.

Instead of styling each anchor in the sidebar with it's own rule e.g.
a[href="target1"] {}
a[href="target2"] {}

I think the question is, can you do something like this:
a[href=:target] { color: lightgray; }

Then you only need 1 rule.

My apologies to OP if I am only creating noise :)!