<< The remaining manufacturing jobs are under severe pressure. While factory
 jobs in the United States pay, on average, more than $18 an hour,
 maquiladora workers in high-tech foreign plants in Mexico earn about a
 buck and a half an hour.>>

Anyone know where they got this estimate... Since retiring from the USAF I've
only recently been promoted to technician and I don't make near $18 an hour.
They must have gotten the numbers from a union state, certainly not Colorado.

 <<Employers have made explicit use of the threat to move to Mexico to beat
 back union organizing efforts, as well as to deny demands for wage
 increases. Cornell researcher Kate Bronfenbrenner has documented a
 tripling of employer plant-closing threats during union organizing drives
 since NAFTAUs adoption.>>

The company I worked for a few years ago (Digital) sent our hard disk drive
manufacturing business to Malaysia.... lost a lot of money, cost of the
building, cost of providing education (2 years college and unemployment
benefits) for displaced workers, as well as losing the business ( they sold
the hard disk and tape drive business, later sold out to Compaq... what little
remained of the business).  Too bad this doesn't happen to more businesses.

 <<Meanwhile, NAFTA has simultaneously failed to deliver the touted benefits
 for Mexico. In a kind of mutant industrialization, NAFTA has turned huge
 swaths of the country into a processor of goods for export to the United
 States. The nationwide export processing zone model has proved an abject
 failure. There are few linkages between the export factories and the rest
 of the economy. Small Mexican business has collapsed. WorkersU
 productivity is up 36 percent since NAFTA went into effect, but Mexican
 wages fell 29 percent between 1993 and 1997. >>

The Corporations got what they wanted in Mexico... more work for less pay, but
some people still don't believe we need unions... they certainly need unions
in Mexico.

Regards,
Bob Stokes