-Caveat Lector-

Yes, we do need trade unions.  And NAFTA is a harbinger of the end of the
American middle class.  If you've read Ravi Batra's critique of free
trade, he points out that the "trickle-down" economic policies of the
Reagan years inevitably must end in class division...and an eventual
economic meltdown, sooner or later.
During the nineteen twenties, the
wealth got concentrated at the top, while the other sectors of the
American economy grew poorer..   Inevitably, Americans didn't have the
disposable income to buy the products to keep the system going..  a
similar dynamic is taking place now... although most Americans are able to
stay in "the middle class" by going into debt.
The unions help keep some of the money(power) in the hands of working
people...
Also, an effective system of tariffs and the enforcement of anti-monopoly
legislation would help somewhat....  But when there are no restraints at
the top....and many restraints on the bottom, the system inevitably gets
out of whack.
We became a "free trade" country under President Nixon.
NAFTA is only one brick in the NWO that has helped push the country into
decline.  (Of course, some of the people on this list will argue just the
opposite...that we are in an era of unprecedented growth and prosperity
thanks to "free trade.")  But for a few short years, I lived and worked
in a country that has the very very rich and the very very poor (Mexico)..
and comparing the two countries (US and Mexico), the US is, of course, a
more desirable place to live.   Why?  Because of our political tradition
of tolerance, diversity, respect for the rights of the individual, and
the idea that it's ok for ordinary people to possess wealth...  In Mexico,
the elites fear and distrust the people...it's a police state that
consistently violates the rights of its own people.....  That is why I was
disturbed when former President George Bush went to Mexico and claimed
that Mexico City was his idea of the ideal city of the future...  a land
of the very rich and the very poor...