-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 12/25/98 7:38:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>  > Where would Monsanto be without the F.D.A.?
>
>  This seems like a cart-before-the-horse question. The FDA is staffed with
> people
>  from industry. Like the other government agencies, it is a weak force
> compared to
>  the realities of global corporatism. Monsanto could live without it--it has
> no
>  impact on European or Asian markets, for instance.
>
>  kt

I took this as a rhetorical question. The FDA is essentially a taxpayer funded
police force operated by the major entities in the food and drug industries to
prevent competition from outside the circle of elite players. The USDA is its
twin. Witness the destruction of Hudson Foods last year through media hype and
USDA pressure, then the acquisition of the ruins by Tyson Foods. Since (1)
Monsanto is based in the US economy, and (2) FDA powers have not yet been
usurped by some agency of a world government, the FDA probably remains very
important to companies like Monsanto.

Jim