-Caveat Lector-

-----Original Message-----
From: The Progressive Review <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thursday, December 31, 1998 4:47 PM
Subject: UNDERNEWS Dec 31

UNDERNEWS
The Progressive Review On-Line Report
>From Washington's Most Unofficial Source

Dec 31, 1998

The Progressive Review 1739 Conn. Ave. NW Washington DC 20009 202-232-5544
Editor: Sam Smith  Fax: 202-234-6222 E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] The Progressive
Review On-Line can be found at: http://prorev.com with over 100 articles and
archives.

For a free trial subscription to our hard copy edition and e-mail updates
send
your postal address with zip code(Sorry, foreign addresses will receive
e-mail
edition only). To unsubscribe, send message with the word 'unsubscribe.'

Copyright 1998, The Progressive Review. Matter not independently copyrighted
may be reprinted provided you pay TPR your normal reprint fees, if any, and
give proper credit.

Because of its volume, we can't answer all the mail we get but post some of
the
most interesting comments at http://dejanews.com/~prorev. You can post
comments
directly here as well by signing up as a forum member.

YEAR-END REPORT

Our web site received more than 200,000 hits in 1998, nearly four times as
many
as during 1997. Our readership is extraordinarily eclectic -- ranging around
the globe and including far-left, far-right, raving moderates,
trans-ideologues
and post-partisans of various stripes. We have readers in the military (and
presumably civilian spooks as well) who check in daily. We have conservative
and liberal talk show hosts, spinmeisters for Clinton, as well as some of
his
strongest opponents. We have white rural militia members and black urban
activists. We have Greens and Libertarians. The Review has been cited by
journals ranging from the London Telegraph (which links to our Whitewater
Archives) to the Village Voice. We love you all and you are all great
Americans
(except, of course, for those readers who aren't Americans at all but who
undoubtedly would be great Americans if you weren't already great Croatians,
Indians, Nigerians and so forth).

Our aim here is simply to follow (1) the principle laid down by Mark Twain
when
he said a good newspaper should not only print the news but make you mad
enough
to do something about it and (2) that of Hank Thoreau who said that the
first
rule of composition was to tell the truth.

Happy New Year!

CURIOUS READERS ASK

<> Why are you harder on Clinton than on the Republicans?

As Willy Sutton said explaining why he robbed banks, because that's where
the
money is. In post-constitutional America most political power is vested in
the
White House currently controlled by the Democrats.

Besides, in journalistic terms, a congressmember is worth, at most, about
1/435th of a president. Still, if you want to trade Rep. Burton's
resignation
for that of Clinton you got yourself a deal.

Anyway, ideology is a lousy clue to scandals. It helps understand how
various
parties react to a political scandal but not the scandal itself. In fact,
one
of the most frequent reasons we don't find out about corruption is because
the
two parties -- which function these days primarily as money laundering
schemes
-- have a joint interest in not revealing the information. Hence the
concealment involved in the Cox investigation of trade with China, the
refusal
of the GOP to look into Arkansas drug smuggling and its ties to the CIA, the
shoddy  investigations of Vince Foster's death and so forth. History will
probably also show that Kenneth Starr was, in fact, one of Clinton's best
allies by failing to look into all the corners he should have.

<> If this story isn't about sex why do the Republicans keep mentioning it?

The trial of Clinton centers not on sex but Clinton's behavior following
sex,
including perjury and obstruction of justice. These felonies were committed
in
order to deny Paula Jones a fair day in court in her case against the
President. Clinton ultimately paid Jones $850,000 in recompense. He has
offered
absolutely nothing in recompense to the public or Congress for his illegal
acts.

In the course of the Jones case, the question came up as to a pattern of
behavior on Clinton's part. As a result a number of other incidents were
investigated as part of that trial and of Starr's subsequent inquiry into
Clinton's obstruction of the trial. This is how the alleged rape came up.

Rape, according to feminist canon, is not about sex; it is about power.
Further, the following acts are not a normal part of sex yet have been
alleged
to have occurred to those who had sexual relations with the president: death
threats; vandalism; intimidation, bribery or other inducement to sign false
affidavits; public trashing on national television; use of private
detectives
to spy upon, induce and/or threaten; as well as, in at least one case each,
the
beating or murder of a person with evidence of Clinton's sexual activities.

No, this is not about sex. It is about crime.

<> How can the Senate consider evidence that wasn't presented to the House?

There is no constitutional prohibition against the Senate hearing new
evidence.
The evidence in contention, however, is not new. It was available to any
House
member who wanted to look at it. The Democrats are pretending that because
they
declined to read it, it can't be used.

CHINA PROBE ENDS IN MUSH

The select House committee looking into the transfer of secret technology to
China has filed a secret report on how it happened, illustrating once again
the
first principle of intelligence: don't let the American people know what the
other side already does.

As a result of this bipartisan clamp on the scandal, we have no idea as to
whether the egregious practices of the Clinton administration were matched
by
those of Reagan and Bush or not. The implication is, of course, that
everybody
does it, which means that everybody for the past 20 years has been helping
American corporations build up the Chinese economy just as we allowed
American
industry to transform Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union into worthy
adversaries.

We do know that the Clinton Administration took large sums of barely
laundered
campaign contributions from the Chinese government and ignored its own
national
security and diplomatic advisors in loosening export restrictions. The two
biggest beneficiaries: Hughes, primarily a Republican donor; and Loral,
primarily a Democratic one.  The biggest losers: Americans and the security
of
their country.

The inquiry was not helped by being placed in the hands of experts in
concealment and disinformation. In Chairman Chris Cox's own words:

"The investigation was headed by professional investigators with significant
national security experience. The staff included C. Dean McGrath, Jr.,
former
Deputy Staff Director and Deputy Assistant to the President; Rick
Cinquegrana,
Deputy Inspector General of the CIA; Dan Silver, former General Counsel of
the
CIA and of NSA; Lewis Libby, former Deputy Under Secretary of Policy at the
Department of Defense; Nicholas Rostow, former Legal Adviser to the National
Security Council; Michael Sheehy, Minority Staff Director, House Permanent
Select Committee on Intelligence; and Michael Davidson, former Counsel to
the
Senate."

It looks as if, once again, we're going to have to rely on a Judicial Watch
lawsuit to worm out more of the truth concerning the compromises and
corruption
involved in the Clinton China policy.

JUDICIAL WATCH'S
CHINA SUIT
http://prorev.com/china.htm

LYING AND MISLEADING

The following interesting exchange appeared on the Clinton Administration
Scandal bulletin board:

Susan Dederich-Pejovich asked: Can anybody tell me the difference between
'lie'
and 'mislead'?  I think the distinction is nonsense. When a person misleads,
they have to throw in a lie to throw pursuers off the track. If they didn't,
the trail would lead to the truth.

Social worker Leslie A. Mathewson replied: I have worked with teenagers and
criminals for over 5 years.  I can tell you that in fact there is a
difference
between "Lie" and "mislead." "Lie" is used when a person tells an untruth
and
is willing/able to take responsibility for what s/he did.  "Mislead" is used
when an individual tells an untruth and is unwilling/unable to take the
responsibility for their actions. This is a very important distinction.  In
my
experience, those who "Lie" have a much better prognosis then those who
"mislead."

MORE ON
CENSORED
STARR EVIDENCE

How serious was the material that Starr presented to the House but was
censored
by that body? Long-time fence-sitter and moderate Christopher Shays thought
it
"very alarming and very unsettling," involving, "conduct by the President
that
is alleged to be pretty horrific."

According to Carl Limbacher at NewsMax, "Shays revealed that the new
evidence
temporarily shocked him into the pro-impeachment column. He reversed himself
only at the eleventh hour after consulting with an unnamed advisor who
argued
that the charges, however ugly and even if true, did not constitute
obstruction
of justice."

Arizona Rep. Matt Salmon told the Arizona Republic, "I came away nauseated.
There are things that go far beyond what we've heard."

Known to be included in the evidence is material related to an alleged 1978
rape of a woman by then Arkansas attorney general Clinton. But Limbacher
suggests there is more, citing this exchange between Rep. Tillie Fowler and
Chris Matthews following Fowler's comment that the new evidence was "too
salacious to release:"

MATTHEWS: You mean the rape accusation?
FOWLER: Those and others.

NEWSMAX STORY
http://www.newsmax.com/articles/?a=1998/12/30/50132

MARINES TO INVADE SF

As part of the military's growing show of domestic force, the Marines are
planning a three day invasion of San Francisco, landing at the Presidio's
Baker
Beach complete with gunfire, hovercraft and various new war toys.

"It's an exercise - don't call it war games," Lt. Col. Gary Schenkel,
spokesman
for the Marine Corps Fighting Laboratory at Quantico, Va., told the San
Francisco Examiner. The "exercise" is called Operation Urban Warrior.

Schenkel said an environmental assessment of the exercise would begin soon.
"Compared to a rock concert or a Fourth of July fireworks display, we'll be
relatively unobtrusive."

"It's premature to say it's a go," said Greg Shine, chief of the Special
Park
Uses Group at the Presidio told the Examiner. Neighborhood groups have
started
to protest.

In recent years, the military has become increasingly bold in its domestic
activities, many of which seemed designed to acclimate Americans to the
militarization of their country.

THE MILITARIZATION OF AMERICA
http://prorev.com/mil.htm

EL SALVADOR MURDERS

This month marks the 18th anniversary of the day four American churchwomen
were
murdered in El Salvador. The Lawyers Committee for Human Rights, which
represents the families of the murdered women, contends that the U.S.
purposely
avoided the investigation of Salvadoran officials, who are now believed to
have
orchestrated the murders. In June, the State Department released to the
Lawyers
Committee previously secret documents that point to an official Salvadoran
cover-up of the crimes. Last week, at President Clinton's direction, the FBI
turned over an additional 4,000 pages of revealing documents. "The U.S.
government investigated every lead except the ones that went up the chain of
command," said Scott Greathead, a Lawyers Committee Board member. Five
Salvadoran National Guardsmen were convicted for the murders, but four of
them
publicly admitted in interviews with Greathead and Robert Weiner, director
of
protection at the Lawyers Committee, that they acted on higher orders.

LAWYERS COMMITTEE FOR HUMAN RIGHTS
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

SATELLITES SINK LOGGING

A major paper producer in Russia, the Svetogorsk pulp and paper mill, has
announced that it will phase out the use of ancient forest wood in its
production entirely. The announcement is the first of its kind in the world.

New maps produced by Greenpeace and The Biodiversity Conservation Centre
showing the decline in ancient forests based on satellite images encouraged
the
ban.

"80 per cent of the large ancient forest areas are already gone and most of
the
remaining areas could be gone in our life time," said Greenpeace
International
Forest campaign coordinator Christopher Thies. "The information provided by
our
GIS mapping project is startling." At a glance anyone can see that ancient
forests in western Russia are getting smaller and more fragmented every
day."

There are still more ancient forests left in Russia than in any other
country
in the world.

GREENPEACE RUSSIA
Alexey Yaroshenko, +7 095 257 4116/18/22/24

<>

ORDER DESK: http://prorev.com/order.htm. You can now order books, subscribe,
or
renew on-line or you can just fax us the necessary credit card and order
info
at 202-234-6222

THE PROGRESSIVE REVIEW
1739 Connecticut Ave NW
Washington DC 20009
202-232-5544
202-234-6222 Fax
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://prorev.com
Editor: Sam Smith

For a free trial subscription to both our bi-monthly hard copy edition
and our regular e-mail updates send e-mail and terrestial address
to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To order "Sam Smith's Great American Political Repair Manual"
(WW Norton)  direct from Amazon.com go to
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0393316270/progressiverevieA/

***********************************
Lloyd Miller, Research Director for A-albionic Research (POB 20273,
Ferndale, MI 48220), a ruling class/conspiracy research resource for the
entire political-ideological spectrum.  Quarterly journal, book sales,
rare/out-of-print searches, New Paradigms Discussion List, Weekly Up-date
Lists & E-text Archive of research, intelligence, catalogs, & resources.
 To Discuss Ideas:
  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://msen.com/~lloyd/
  For Ordering Info & Free Catalog:
   mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://a-albionic.com/formaddress.html
  For Discussion List:
   mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
   text in body:  subscribe prj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 **FREE RARE BOOK SEARCH: <http://a-albionic.com/search.html> **
   Explore Our Archive:  <http://a-albionic.com/a-albionic.html>
   Video Finder, Free Catalogs, Links, Sweepstakes, What-Not:
     http://www.msen.com/~daugh/store.htm