[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>  This is dated thinking. It applied a generation ago. The legend of
>  chosenness is part of the Jewish national myth. It applies to those
>  who
>  have converted as well. There is no problem here except that
>  Christians
>  can't usurp that title while Jews continue to exist.

IMO this is not quite it.  It is true that we Christians have totally usurped
the scriptures and beliefs of the Jewish/Hebrew people up to the time of
Christ.  But i think it gets kind of complex.  It has been said of Hitler that
that he especially resented the Jews because while Hr, Hitler, babbled about
the natural superiority of the Aryan race, he realized that the difference was
that the Jews really did believe in their own superiority by virtue of being
the Chosen People.  This is not it either though it is an interesting theory.

I think that it is a matter of some naive but determined Christians thinking
that since theirs is the true religion and is built upon Judaism, it is right
and natural for the Jews to be converted.  They are thwarted and shocked when,
after the Christian faith has been explained, the Jews still do not convert.
The surprise quickly turns to anger.  Martin Luther strongly believed that the
Jews simply had not had the Faith explained to them properly but he, Luther,
would do it right.  Again, disappointment.  Luther became one of many anti-
Semitic Christians, adding more coals to the Holocaust to come.

Jerry