-Caveat Lector-

Gerald Harp wrote:

>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> >  In reality, it was the Southern soldiers who were fighting for the
> >  principle of self-government.
>
> Is there anything so jaw dropping inexplicable than the few who attempt to
> make the South out as a victim of the North over the Civil War?

It may be as you describe, if you are as ignorant as your statement suggests.

> There are "shrines" to Jefferson Davis and Stonewall Jackson.  Take a tour of
> the South and your ear will be bent by a guide babbling about how cruel the
> Yankees were at Vicksburg.

Are you suggesting that the citizens and soldiers Vicksburg was not treated rather
cruelly?  They were at war, and it makes sense that their attackers would blow
things up and kill people... Vicksburg isn't, however, a good example to
illustrate cruelty.  There are far better ones.

> Listening to them, one would never guess that the South was run by a gang of
> slavers who do not at all correspond to those portrayed in Gone With the Wind as
> kindly masters taking loving care of some child like people.

You learned this in public school, no doubt.  I will challenge you to share your
evidence, and will in like manner share mine... Your choice of words indicates
that you prefer emotionalism to objective discussion, however..  For instance, the
elected government of the South was no more a "gang of slavers" than was the north
a "gang of slave traders."

> Of course, things are complicated and there were many decent Christian
> Southerners who smuggled slaves, spied on Southern military units, and
> sabotaged when possible.

You mean the traitors?

> There were right-wing Northerners who spoke and acted for the South.  There were
> slave holding prosperous free blacks in the South.  There were a few slave
> holders who did treat their slaves with some shred of fairness considering the
> relationship.

A few?  I believe the documentation of the era supports that such was the norm.
Unless, of course, your study of history is mainly pulp such as "Uncle Tom's
Cabin."

> The real point is that every son of the South who involves himself in
> discussions about the Civil War should get down on his knees and thank God that
> the Union won the war thereby freeing both slave and "free" Southerner.

Absurd... The war was never intended to free the slave, but to enslave the
master... and its objective was accomplished.

And I, for one, will not "thank God" for having my country over-run by the
imperial United States, and making my state a mere administrative extension of an
over-bearing and increasingly intolerable Central Govm't...

Hawk