-Caveat Lector-

Gerald Harp wrote:

>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> In a message dated 1/4/99 11:26:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> >  In reality, it was the Southern soldiers who were fighting for the
> >  principle of self-government.
>
> Is there anything so jaw dropping inexplicable than the few who attempt to
> make the South out as a victim of the North over the Civil War?  There are
> "shrines" to Jefferson Davis and Stonewall Jackson.  Take a tour of the South
> and your ear will be bent by a guide babbling about how cruel the Yankees were
> at Vicksburg.  Listening to them, one would never guess that the South was run
> by a gang of slavers who do not at all correspond to those portrayed in Gone
> With the Wind as kindly masters taking loving care of some child like people.
>
> Of course, things are complicated and there were many decent Christian
> Southerners who smuggled slaves, spied on Southern military units, and
> sabotaged when possible.  There were right-wing Northerners who spoke and
> acted for the South.  There were slave holding prosperous free blacks in the
> South.  There were a few slave holders who did treat their slaves with some
> shred of fairness considering the relationship.  The real point is that every
> son of the South who involves himself in discussions about the Civil War
> should get down on his knees and thank God that the Union won the war thereby
> freeing both slave and "free" Southerner.

   I was born and raised in Michigan. Most of my ancestors were in
Europe at the time, though I believe one was an doctor in the Union
army. However, I have lived in Atlanta since I was 15 so it may be
charged that I am not neutral on this. (Interestingly, many of my
friends who are the descendents of slave owners and Confederate soldiers
probably believe as you).

   After many years of study (especially through input from a black
friend of mine and observation of southerners of both races over the
past thirty plus years) I have come to the conclusion that the nation
and the south and even the black population of the south would probably
have been better off if Lincoln had not forced the south through
military means back into the union. (And, I believe that slavery
probably would have ended within 20 years and subsequent relations
between the races would have been much better). I believe now that the
"Civil War" was mainly caused by the tariff question and only
exasperated by the slave issue. (Lincoln in his first inaugural address
invites the south back into the union with slavery, but paying tariffs).
These tariffs were designed to benefit the northern manufacturers and
helped to create the "robber barrons". The post "Civil War" result was
great hardship on both the white and black races in the south. To say
that the "every son of the South who involves himself in discussions
about the Civil War should get down on his knees and thank God that the
Union won the war thereby freeing both slave and "free" Southerner"
shows a complete lack of knowledge about the war and its effects.

best wishes, Howard Davis