-Caveat Lector-

Kris:  About historic American Indian population figures --

Not exactly that many.  Here is a quote from Alvin Josephy -- while a dated
Indian historian, his basic material even in 1995 was still considered the
most reliable to date on general facts like this.  Bracketed quotes are mine
here, but Josephy says (1991, *The Indian Heritage of America,* Houghton
Mifflin Co.):

p. 52-53   "Although many persons have tried to estimate how many Indians
inhabited the New World [this includes the entire Western Hemisphere --
north, central and south] by 1492, there is no agreement on the figure.  In
the past some have believed that there were as many as 75 million, others
cite a maximum of only 8 million.  Until recently, the most knowledgable
students estimated that there were somewhere between 15 and 20 million
Indians in the hemisphere when Columbus arrived, agreeing also that probably
only some 850,000 lived within the present boundaries of the contiguous
states of the United States, and considerably fewer father north in Canada
and Alaska.  The bulk of the population was found below the Rio Grande,
concentrated most heavily in the regions of the most intensive practice of
agriculture; and it was thought that perhaps 7 million or more people were
in Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean prior to the white man's
arrival, and at least 10 million throughout South America, more than half of
them in the Andean highlands [Bolivia, Equador, Peru]. "

My thoughts:  Population figures are always interesting and always
important.  In fact there are entire books devoted now to analysis of
American Indian pop figures.  I don't have the latest one at hand.  However,
Josephy is still very well touted.  Suffice it to say that North America
held far fewer Indians at Columbus' entrance than people now believe and
Josephy is a very fine reference, although he is a generalist, not a high
brow scholar.  Few ever quibble with his general materials, they are well
researched.

Judith

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Judith, a lister came-up with this statement.
>
> My understanding is that during the period before colonization
> >native-americans numbered less then five million in the are we now call
> >the United States.
>
> What can you tell me?
>
> Om
-----