-Caveat Lector-

Gerald Harp wrote:

> You don't seem to understand much about human nature.  Slavery was not just an
> economic issue. It was a way of life and cheap self esteem.  It was the dark
> pleasure of having absolute power over others.  Slavery had deeply corrupted the
> South. To think that the results of slavery were typically benign or even
> neutral is
> fantasy.  It is also naive to think that the slave masters would ever have
> voluntarily given up their corrupt power.  Don't just focus  on  the shallow
> economics oriented histories, consider and read about the social/psychological
> realities.

As one who has devoted the major portion of his life studying "human nature" and
"morals" and "political/social" philosophies.. I have to say this... The above
falls properly into the realm of "psycho-babble."  Those who fall for it could
blame it on the mis-education system, but if they've been out of school for more
than two or three years, they should have learned better.

Hawk