-Caveat Lector-

"Howard R. Davis III" wrote:

>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> Gerald Harp wrote:
> >
> >  -Caveat Lector-
> >
> > In a message dated 1/5/99 6:05:56 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > writes:

>  the nation  and the south and even the black population of the south would
> probably  have been better off if Lincoln had not forced the south through
> military means back into the union.

Constitutionally, they should of been allowed to secede, but I think what might
have happened here, is Lincoln may have thought it was a minor rebellion led by a
few.  Not until he got forces out, did he realize how dedicated each southron was
and is dedicated to the cause.

The North and the South had and still has a different culture, economic structure,
and I believe due to these reasons ...misunderstanding occurred.  It is interesting
to note, the people selling the slaves were black men themselves, and the one slave
owner who had the most slaves was a Haitian that lived in Louisiana.   One must
also remember there were white slaves.

But getting back to slavery issue, and beatings,...when you buy a mercedes...or
something expensive like that do you intentionally go out to harm it..crash it,
scratch it.  Heck, no you paid good money for it, and you will try to do your best
so nothing happens to it...well slaves were expensive....and expensive to
maintain(slavery would have faded out on its own)

It was the over-seers that were the culprits, people who learned how to abuse their
power.  But if the were caught...many times it was there behind.

Slavery as we see it, in the situation that we are in is evil, we were raised that
way, but let me throw out this one question on this, how can we today dare judge a
society of yesterday...without understanding the culture, and the mores of that
society.

> You don't seem to understand much about human nature.  Slavery was not just an
> economic issue. It was a way of life and cheap self esteem.

Many black folk were like family and treated as of such.

> It was the dark pleasure of  having absolute power over others.  Slavery had
> deeply corrupted the South.

Only 5% were slave owners, the war was over preservation of cultures on both sides.

>  To think that the results of slavery were typically benign or even neutral is
> fantasy.

Huh ?

> It is also naive to think that the slave masters would ever have voluntarily
> given up their corrupt power.

Economics is what one looks at, it was becoming uneconomical to have slaves, and
was going out.  Those that owned the slaves would have made this transition from
slavery to freeman a lot more smoother, many slaves were thrown out in the streets,
did not have a place to go, the mighty liberals of their day did not have a
plan...the owners would have.

> Don't just focus  on  the shallow economics oriented histories, consider and read
> about  the social/psychological realities.

Bunk

> > Jerry
> >

> You have NO comprehension of what you are
> talking about when you start prattling about how "corrupted" the south
>  so, why had Lee and others
> freed freed their slaves? Yes, there were economic reasons to believe slavery
> would end. But there were other forces that would have ended it as well.

Carlene M. Wojahn