December 9, 1998

Listers:

 Last week a few messages appeared questioning my references regarding a
few statements about the protocols required of FBI agents.  The quotes
here are from the excellently done (and rare) Mark Riebling book
entitled WEDGE, The Secret War Between the FBI and CIA, 1994, NY:
Knopf, pp. 8-9:

    "Even if analysis were to become FBI policy, moreover, Fleming
[Commander Ian Flemming, British SS] believed that the Bureau's criminal
investigators should be flanked wiht teams of experts from different
backgrounds. FBI agents were good sniffer-dogs, but they were not
especially promising material for a brain-trust.  Most struck Fleming as
Irish-Catholic Texans from second-rate law schools, which only invited
British snobbery, but make it difficult to find plausible covers in
places like Peru, where some SIS agents went around pronouncing gracias
as "grassy-ass."(...)

    Finally, intelligence work required a system of discipline less
strict than Hoover's, one that did not crush creativity or imagination.
Realizing that "impressions made by Special Agents on the public have a
great deal to do with developing cooperation on the part of the public,"
the FBI had imposed strict administrative code that extended even to a
man's appearance and personal life.  Agents had to wear dark suits,
white shirts, and snap-brim hats; cut their hair two inches above the
collar in back, and comb it just so on top so that there would be "no
pointy heads"; they must keep a handkerchief in the right front pocket
so no heroically firm handshake would be marred by "wet palms."  Coffee
was not allowed at desks, unmarried agents were not allowed to spend the
night at girlfriend's apartments, and no FBI man must ever be drunk.
The resulting white-knight mystique did ensure public cooperation, to
the point where the flashing of an agent's gold badge was often enough
to make an arrest, and a gun was almost superfluous.  Most agents
therefore tolerated such petty tyrannies, just as similar rules were
endured by college football players or Marines, which many FBI men had
once been, or by Catholics, which most FBI men still were.  There was
some logic to Hoover's tyranny; adherence to a common code solitified
the FBI "team spirit," the sense of membership in a "family."  Fear of
The Boss did not sap this spirit, but rather made it possible.  There
was no "democracy" or "individuality" under Hoover, any more than there
was under a football coach like Knute Rockne, or a general like
Pershing, or the Pope; if you were going to go up against Notre Dame, or
the Nazis, or the Devil, without discipline enforced by fear of your
coach, or your commanding officer, or the wrath of God, you weren't
going to win.  Still, strict enforcement of such regulations did create
a certain climate of fear, and some of the brighter agents had quit
because, as one put it, "I always had the feeling that someoen was
looking over my shoulder, checking up on what I was doing and how I was
doing it. In fact, some of the FBI discipline verged on thought
control."