-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 1/9/99 7:55:25 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> I was raised in the old South in Claxton, Georgia 1941-1949 and I can tell
> you from personal
>  experience that the old South I experienced respected everyone.

Your post is disconnected from reality.  You and Howard have shared your
fantasy but it doesn't wash.  When southern blacks with a number of
participating whites began the freedom bus rides and sin-ins during the 1950s
and 1960s, they were a threat to most of the quaint gentle white folk of the
South.  That's why so many of the marchers and bus riders and sit-in people
were beaten, sometimes so bad that they were maimed, sometimes even killed but
most were simply hosed or had police dogs sicked on them or were beaten with
night sticks and jailed.  Reality may not be pretty but if you face it you
don't have to defend something that never was.

Jerry