-Caveat Lector-

Gerald Harp wrote:

>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> In a message dated 1/11/99 6:03:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>

> >  Explanation:  The poorest 40 percent of Americans did not contribute as
> much  to the lifestyle and productivity of American individuals as did Bill
> Gates.
> > Unlike the poorest 40%, everyone who bought goods from Microsoft did so as a
> voluntary decision, whereas many of the poorest 40% were recipients of funds
> extorted by threat of violence from the other 60%.
>
> Hawk, you seem to live in a dark pit.

On the contrary, my dear man, I live in the bright sunshine of Texas!  I even
ocassionally venture outside the borders of this magnificent republic.

> Your response is so appalling that i first passed it by because in the face of
> such unreality, there doesn't seem to be much to say.

Why, Son, that's because there really ISN'T much to say against it, which is all
you have any interest in... So, I suppose you're going to bless us with more
blather....

> But i will say this.

See?  I knew it!

> Suppose that you are perfectly right.

I am.

> Gates wealth relative to the 40% is solely due to his superior productivity so
> that God Almighty and all decent right thinking citizens see the justice.

I might have something to do with saving some back for a "rainy day," hiding some
from the greedy and voracious govm't tax collectors, prospering due to the adage,
"Help enough people get what they want, and you can have anything you want," and
other factors that such as thrift and generosity..  I suspect there is more to it
than "pure productivity."

> Suppose Gates were to increase his productivity even more in ratio to his
> fellows so that his wealth now exceeds 80% of the population.   Would such a
> wealth distribution be wise even for Mr. Gates?

Why not?   The fact that he has more doesn't mean that I have less.... If I didn't
have two automobiles, would one suddenly appear in front of some African's hut?
As a matter of fact, my own wealth has been INCREASING during the period of time
that Bre'r Gates' has been increasing... Ain't that sort of wierd in your
contorted economic theory?  If there is some causal relationship, I hope Gates
does continue to increase his wealth.  You haven't come to realize that "wet
streets don't cause rain."

> If so, do you suppose that there might be some point at which society becomes so
> unstable that the game is over?

Don't wish too hard for it... You seem to always get around to some veiled
"people's revolution" BS... You're a lot like NUREV, both of you rave on with your
Walter Middy delusions of revolutionary grandeur, but I suspect that neither of
you would have any idea of what to do if you were suddenly plopped into the middle
of revolution... like my Mercedes suddenly materializing in front of the African's
hut.

Hawk