-Caveat Lector-

Alamaine Ratliff wrote:

>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> Okay, I'll bite.  Biblical documentation (courtesy NIV) at
>
> Matt 6 (esp 6:5) {long, I won't reproduce -- especially because of the
> written word}

Don't see any connection to slavery.

> John 8:31ff:  "To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold
> to my teaching, you are really my disciples.  Then you will know the truth,
> and the truth will set you free."  They answered him, "We are Abraham's
> descendants and have never been slaves on anyone.  How can you say we shall
> be set free?"

Apparently these fellows had never been slaves, and said so.. They also apparently
"missed the point," that Jesus wasn't talking about literal/physical slavery..
which you also seem to have missed.

> Acts 7:6ff:  "G*d spoke to him {Abraham} in this way: 'Your descendants
> will be strangers in a country not their own, and they will be enslaved and
> mistreated four hundred years.  But I will punish the nation they serve as
> slaves,' G*d said, 'and afterward they will come out of that country and
> worship me in this place.'  Then he gave Abraham the convenant of
> circumcision.  And Abraham became the father of Isaac and circumcised him
> eight days after his birth.  Later Isaac became the father of Jacob, and
> Jacob became the father of the twelve patriarchs."
>
> I stumbled onto the above after looking through my Strong's Exhaustive
> Concordance of the Bible.  There's not a bunch on "slave" or "slavery" but
> more on "bondage" which translates back to "slavery" in the NIV.  The
> Matthew part was what I originally intended to offer but the rest just came
> along.

But, the passage you quoted said nothing about it being "evil" or "wrong" for the
Hebrews to be held in bondage.  It merely said that they WOULD be, and that Egypt
WOULD be punished, which it was... But the punishment was not because the Hebrews
were slaves there, rather because Pharoah did not release them when God told him
to... It was his (1) unreasonable harshness to the Hebrew slaves, and (2) his
refusal to let them go when directed -- Read it in context and this becomes
clear.  There was a time (read the part about Joseph) when God BLESSED Egypt
because of Pharaoh's relationship (master over slave) with Joseph.

> I really lean more toward Celtic Buddhism so these forays into Xtian
> theological texts is rather illuminating.

That's good... Since some of these folks are offended by biblical texts, I would
be very glad to discuss the above passages, or any others, with you... Could be my
"take" on them is 100% wrong... but maybe I am not wrong at all.  You be the
judge, after having an opportunity to study the passages using proper
hermaneutical procedures.  In looking through your concordance, don't look for
"slave" but rather "servant" which IS a slave unless it says "hired" servant.

Hawk