-Caveat Lector-

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> Howdy Hypocrite,

Good morning... Having a nice day?

> Whatsa matter, ain't got time to reply to my queries?

I haven't seen any.... Is it something you sent today?

> So, pray tell, what are the "proper hermaneutical procedures"? Are they
> consistent?

"Hermaneutics" is the art or science of "interpretation" primarily of written
documents, and is usually applied to biblical interpretation.  However, the
"rules" are common in literature and historical/archealogical fields, and are not
restricted to bible study.  Check this site:
http://www.greatnorthern.net/~ken/herm.html

There are books on the subject, and quite a few "hits" can be found using the
"Hotbot" search engine.  Here are some general principles:

Hermaneutics- Rules for Correct Biblical interpretation

1. TAKE THE WORDS IN THEIR USUAL AND ORDINARY SENSE.

   A. as the people to whom they were written would have understood
   B. NOT necessarily literal
   C. CAREFULLY note the response of the hearers ( do they understand or not )
                         [ only go as far as you need to in the rules ]

2. TAKE THE WORDS IN THE SENSE THAT THE PHRASE INDICATES (short context)

      How is the phrase using this word? [in the Original language] ( verb, noun,
etc.) - "faith" could mean 'the act of believing' or 'the elements of believe'(as
in statement of faith) or 'the whole religion itself' (as in the Christian faith).
ex.- an (anarthrous noun); nn (noun); repro (relative pronoun)

3. TAKE THE WORDS IN CONTEXT ( long context )
   this is sometimes referred to as ' reading around the text' ( several verses
before and after the target text )

4. CONSIDER THE OBJECT OR DESIGN OF THE PASSAGE

   A. General purpose of the writer ( stated or un-stated )
   B. Specific purpose of the writer ( stated or un-stated )

5. CONSULT PARALLEL PASSAGES (P.P.) - direct quotes (of this or others)

   A. is it a parallel?
   B. is it an inexact parallel?

6. RECOGNIZE PARALLEL EXCLUSIONS

   A. note any absence of your target text in any other related passages
   B. note any absence of your target text in any parallel passages

> Hypocrite Hawk sez:
>
> "But, the passage you quoted said nothing about it being "evil" or "wrong" for
> the Hebrews to be held in bondage."
>
> So let, us review, unless Hypocrite Hawk, can determine through "proper
> hermaneutical procedures" if the Bible says an action is 'evil' or 'wrong'.

The above is somewhat muddled, but presumably, anyone following the principles of
hermaneutics should be able to arrive at a reasonably accurate understanding of
written documents... Otherwise, why do automobiles come with "Owner's Manuals?"
On the other hand, it could be that the document's author was unable to clearly
state what he was trying to say, or that his ideas were inconsistent, and in such
cases, it is more difficult, or sometimes impossible to determine the meaning --
For instance, "How to program your VCR" written by some Korean guy who is
unfamiliar with English... In which case, you would probably have to resort to the
original language (the reason for having study tools such as "Vines Expository
Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words.")

> Do you have a list of "evil" or "wrong", oh, old, wise one?

Certainly... however I would not call it an "exhaustive list."  Some examples
are:  Do not steal, do not commit murder, do not commit adultary, etc.

> I am not offended by Biblical texts, but by hypocrites that abuse them.

I feel the same way about it.  I do not approve of hypocrisy.

> Oh, Hypocrite, you didn't answer my query about your intel secret ops? Cat got
> your tongue?

I don't think I saw any query about intel secret ops.  But even if I had, I don't
know anything at all about the subject of intel secret ops, and don't even know
what it means.

> What a . . . chauvanistic goober.

Well, maybe so... I may be one of those, since I don't even know what it is.  I
think I am chauvanistic about some issues.... As for being a goober, I think that
is slang (or African) for "peanut," and I am fairly certain that I am not of that
species.

However, I do know what a hypocrite is, and I do not think I am one of those.  I
have asked you numerous times to provide evidence of my hypocrisy, and you have
steadfastly refused to do so.  I have decided that you have no such evidence,
based on your reluctance or inability to produce it.

Hawk