-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 1/14/99 8:42:12 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

>  The day before the president hailed December's
>       unemployment drop before the Economic Club of Detroit, wire reports
>       announced the highest layoff numbers of the decade.

Perhaps there is a new dawn here.  The only Republican who seemed to grasp the
hallucinatory nature of our up up and away GDP economy heretofore has been Pat
Buchanan.  Now Arriana has joined Pat.  Who next, Trent Lott?

Incidentally, is anyone here familiar with a couple of guys in San Francisco
who track an alternate to GDP?  They subtract out the things that add to GDP
but detract from our standard of living such as bodywork repairs after car
accidents and fees for divorce lawyers.  They show that our US GDP'/person
peaked in 1973 and has been going downhill since.

Jerry