Ellroy's _American Tabloid_ is a marvelous book.  Much is speculative, but a
great deal of the book is based on the best research into the darker side
American Cold War intrigues and the Kennedy assassination.  It is
unfortunate that one of the most telling and honest portrayals of the grim,
underworld brutality of American policy in the twentieth century can only
find a wide market as a work of fiction.

Also unfortunate is that most Americans interested in the Kennedy
assassination want to make Jack into something of a sacrificial lamb.  Such
is our political naivete.  We will really only be "through the looking
glass" of political understanding in this country when we understand that
JFK's assassination was not really a coup, but business as usual, a
manifestation of American realpolitik during the Cold War.  Kennedy was
bumped off by the same batch of criminals he unleashed upon Central America
and Southeast Asia,  who unleashed a multinational holocaust in the name of
Big Business.

Kennedy's error was not a higher morality, but his hubris and his
wrecklessness.  Detailed so grimly in _Tabloid_, as both a Kennedy and as
President, he really believed he could control the bastards.  He didn't
understand that as far as the permanent class was concerned, Presidents and
even Kennedy's, come and go.  The permanent political and criminal classes
of the National Security State would not (and won't) be undone by some
elected official, even if he be President.

Kennedy, like one of the upstart wise guys in your favorite mafia pic,
wanted to run the show.  Kennedy wasn't interested in cleaning up the
National Security State, but in consolidating it under his and his family's
control.
He wanted the credit and the power, not world peace (this is where the
similarities to Bill Clinton really get interesting).  And like the upstart
wiseguy, he was whacked.  It sent a message to others in the elected class,
to a frightened Lyndon Johnson, to us a voters, and to our Cold War
opponents; so-called democracy won't stop us from pursuing our goals, so
don't f**k with us.

Lucio
GONZO Links - Your online guide to millennial America
http://members.tripod.com/gonzolinks