-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 1/18/99 11:39:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< This letter was written by Eric Jowers, a retired Army Officer,
 > who served as public affairs officer at Fort Rucker from 1989 to 1991.
 > He now lives in Ozark, Alabama.
 > Dear Mr. President:
 > It's not about sex.
 > If it were about sex, you would be long gone.
 > Just like a doctor, attorney or teacher who had
 > sex with a patient, client or student half his age,
 > you would have violated the ethics of your office
 > and would be long gone. >>

It can't be about sex, because while I was around the military, they were far
from celebate.  I've been around this world a long, long time and thought I
was shock proof, but they even managed to shock me.  At an overseas
installation, our full colonel (chief of operations) had as a mistress a
pretty captain from the Security Police.  He was married and his wife was in
the states, but so what.  There wasn't anything unusual about that.  Finally
one day with great fanfare, the pretty captain took the colonel to base
operations to catch a plane to the states.  He was going home for a divorce.
Fine, lots of that in the military too.  When he came back,  she welcomed him
with open arms and lots of smiles.   All went on as usual.  A few months
later, she again packed him up and drove him to base operations to catch a
plane to the states.  He was going home to get married.  After a couple of
weeks, he came back again, and again she welcomed him with open arms and lots
of smiles, and their relationship continued as it was until he rotated.  Now
that shocked me.  You will please observe that most of the time when the
military get really officious about these matters, they involve
fraternization.   That's any relationship between officers and enlisted.  They
are pretty sticky about that.  I remember one general who was having an affair
with an enlisted guy's wife, but he fixed it by having her husband made an
officer.  (He was a Marine Corps general; I don't think the others have the
power to do that anymore.)   If an officer's child happens to be enlisted and
comes home to visit, he advised not to wear his uniform.  So you can see, they
really don't want the two castes to mix.  Anyway, no matter what these folks
try to tell us these days, there's a whole lot of sex going on in the
military.  Some of it fits the mold, and a whole lot more does not.  Prudy