-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 1/30/99 12:34:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< EVERYTHING IS OK IF IT MAKES MONEY.

 No, I don't defend the FDA or their sponsors. I'm just protecting MY
 interests
 from the lunacy of free market Libertarians, who, if they were ever
 taken more
 seriously, would be as hazardous to our health as the chemical,
 medical, and
 food industries combined. >>

Well, I definitely agree with you when you are against the notion that
everything is okay if it makes money, that is not a true statement, nor is it
something that someone could live by.  In general I might support your
position, BUT the FDA is more in the business of promoting products that are
BAD for us while suppressing products that are GOOD.  They rely on the claims
of corporate scientists to weigh whether a product is "safe" or not.  That is
not rigorous scientific criteria, which is what they demand from the "little
guy" who claims to have a cure for cancer, but no corporate deep-pocket
sponsor to pay all the bills.
I would say that free market libertarianism, as you define it is not very
good.  However, since the FDA cannot be trusted in some things why should we
trust it at all?  Additionally, a libertarian approach to the use of
pharmaceutical or nutritional supplements is a sound one, IMO.  If no one is
forcing you to take the product, why not be allowed to make the choice for
yourself?  Even if people in authority tell you it will do a certain thing and
it doesn't and even causes harm, if they are acting in good faith they should
not be held legally responsible.  People need to check up on things for
themselves.  Relying on anyone to tell you what is good or not, without
checking it out yourself is foolish.  I think an agency that just says that a
product is not allowed to be sold AT ALL, not just that it does not live up to
claims and should have it's labeling and advertising reflect this, is
hampering people's free choice in matters of health.
An agency of some type is probably necessary, but it is not the FDA.  A
smaller organization that is shielded from corporate influence which relies on
non-corporate research for testing and evaluation could protect us from
poison, which is the main reason for it's existence anyway.
Teo1000