-Caveat Lector-

Teo One Thousand wrote:

>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> In a message dated 1/30/99 12:34:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> << EVERYTHING IS OK IF IT MAKES MONEY.
>
>  No, I don't defend the FDA or their sponsors. I'm just protecting MY
>  interests
>  from the lunacy of free market Libertarians, who, if they were ever
>  taken more
>  seriously, would be as hazardous to our health as the chemical,
>  medical, and
>  food industries combined. >>
>
> Well, I definitely agree with you when you are against the notion that
> everything is okay if it makes money, that is not a true statement, nor is it
> something that someone could live by.  In general I might support your
> position, BUT the FDA is more in the business of promoting products that are
> BAD for us while suppressing products that are GOOD.

I think this is an exaggeration. They must do enough of what they
claim to do
in order to keep the scam going.

> They rely on the claims
> of corporate scientists to weigh whether a product is "safe" or not.  That is
> not rigorous scientific criteria, which is what they demand from the "little
> guy" who claims to have a cure for cancer, but no corporate deep-pocket
> sponsor to pay all the bills.
> I would say that free market libertarianism, as you define it is not very
> good.  However, since the FDA cannot be trusted in some things why should we
> trust it at all?

We shouldn't.

> Additionally, a libertarian approach to the use of
> pharmaceutical or nutritional supplements is a sound one, IMO.  If no one is
> forcing you to take the product, why not be allowed to make the choice for
> yourself?

It depends on the product. If it's something you take internally,
that's not
the same as buying a yo yo. Also, most people including me, don't have
the
expertise to make a good judgment about herbs and medicines. Choice is
meaning-
less if it's an ignorant choice.

> Even if people in authority tell you it will do a certain thing and
> it doesn't and even causes harm, if they are acting in good faith they should
> not be held legally responsible.

What do you mean good faith? How do you distinguish someone's " good
faith " from
their desire to profit from our ignorance?

If you put out a product for ingestion, you better make damn sure it's
safe or
pay severe consequences for the damage done.

> People need to check up on things for
> themselves.  Relying on anyone to tell you what is good or not, without
> checking it out yourself is foolish.

Oh really? What if I told you that jumping off the Empire State
building would
kill you? Does your formula apply?

In a complex and sophisticated society such as this is it is
IMPOSSIBLE to check
out everything. If we had to do that, that's all we'd be doing.

> I think an agency that just says that a
> product is not allowed to be sold AT ALL, not just that it does not live up to
> claims and should have it's labeling and advertising reflect this, is
> hampering people's free choice in matters of health.

I agree with you here. My argument is with the writer's attitude that
no one
has the right to prevent hucksters and snake oil salesmen from pushing
crap.

> An agency of some type is probably necessary, but it is not the FDA.  A
> smaller organization that is shielded from corporate influence which relies on
> non-corporate research for testing and evaluation could protect us from
> poison, which is the main reason for it's existence anyway.
> Teo1000

Don't hold your breath.

Joshua2