http://www.parascope.com/index.htm
<A HREF="http://www.parascope.com/index.htm">ParaScope: Something Strange is
Happening!</A>
-----
Confessions of a Skeptic

An editorial by D. Trull
Enigma Editor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I recently received the following email message from a ParaScope reader,
which pointedly sums up a concern that many others have also expressed,
in one way or another:

"I am curious why you put people like DTrull, or whatever his name is,
in charge of writing articles and reviews for the Enigma section of
ParaScope? And pscppol who seems to be in charge of Nebula. Both seem to
be more skeptical about that which that they write about, even at
sometimes to the point of being critical or poking fun at those of us
who genuinely believe.

"I would think you would want your forum staffed by believers, or at
least people who would not appear so patronizing or close-minded.
"Are these the only contributors to this area? And do these people
actually get paid to come up with this stuff? Find something with a
little more meat to it and a little more interesting to those of us who
visit ParaScope and who do believe.

"If I didn't believe, I wouldn't be here."

Those are heavy charges, but I have to admit, this letter raise some
perfectly valid questions about ParaScope's editorial approach to
paranormal subject matter. I'd like to take the opportunity to explore
the quandaries and complexities of skepticism, to clarify some common
misconceptions, and to make a confession or two about what I believe in.
Yes, it's true, I'm the editor of ParaScope's department on paranormal
phenomena, and I am a skeptic. I spend my time researching and writing
on topics whose factual existence I find almost entirely in doubt.

That's a strange circumstance to be in, no denying it. It might seem
sort of like putting the fox in charge of the hen house, or hiring an
atheist to deliver a fire-and-brimstone sermon. Why would a skeptic want
to do this, and why would ParaScope want to have me?

Skepticism itself is a very weird thing. To the outside observer,
skeptics may appear to be smug, elitist curmudgeons who have made a
sport out of tearing down what others believe in. The various personal
interests and avocations that people are into, whether it's football,
mountain climbing, video games, gardening or sex, are almost always
positive in nature, revolving around a subject that you like or enjoy.
Skepticism, on the other hand, seems to be a hobby based on a negative
-- namely, preaching that there's no such thing as Bigfoot or flying
saucers.

That perception makes skepticism something of a suspicious activity to
begin with. It's fine for there to be organized opposition to a
universally recognized evil (for example, Mothers Against Drunk
Driving), but it's unseemly for a group to devote itself to denouncing
and discrediting that which others believe in. That disreputable
category of human expression ranges from the Ku Klux Klan to web pages
entitled "The Spice Girls Suck." To some degree or other, people often
associate skepticism with the vile dregs of organized hate. The
hostility that I have seen directed at James Randi and other prominent
skeptics has approached levels normally reserved for crimes against
humanity.

The core of the problem is this: conventional wisdom dictates that if
you dislike or disagree with something that other people follow and
believe in, you should just turn away and leave it alone. Live and let
live. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. If you
don't believe in ghosts and healing crystals and ESP, that's fine, but
for goodness' sake, don't obsess about how fake they are, or turn your
doubts into some kind of ongoing crusade. That seems like an unhealthy
thing to be doing. If you don't believe in these things, surely you can
find something better to spend your time on.

As that reader remarked, "If I didn't believe, I wouldn't be here." If I
don't believe, then why am I here?

The answer is complicated, and it requires a detailed explanation of
what skepticism is -- or at least, what I consider it to be. To be a
skeptic does not mean that you don't believe in anything, and skepticism
is not a fixed platform or ideology, like liberalism or conservatism. It
 is a tool for understanding the world around us, and a method for
evaluating the veracity of extraordinary claims and observations.

Skepticism may at times seem to involve nothing more than the knee-jerk
debunking and gainsaying of whatever weird phenomenon comes along, but
in fact, it is not a pursuit rooted solely on negation and tearing down.
Skepticism has very much of a positive basis, and corny though it may
sound, its objective is the search for the truth.

That being the case, it's high time I came clean with a true fact that I
have never before admitted publicly in the pages of ParaScope.

I am a skeptic, but there are paranormal phenomena that I do believe in.
Throughout my life I have had personal experiences in which I knew what
someone else was thinking, or I predicted some event just before it
happened, or my wild hunches turned out to be true. I have frequently
had déjà vu episodes that were so compelling I felt that it had to be
more than just my mind playing tricks on me. There have been times when
I was convinced that I had some form of ESP, and sometimes I still feel
that way. I also believe without reservation that there is intelligent
life in outer space. And I believe there are strange and undiscovered
animals hiding on our planet. And I believe there may be undetected
forces at work influencing our existence. In general, I believe there's
a whole lot of things going on around us that we don't know or don't
understand, which will make our present conception of the universe look
hopelessly primitive some day. I wholeheartedly concur with what Hamlet
had to say on the limits of human knowledge: "There are more things in
heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

So why, then, have I chosen to be a skeptic? Why not use ParaScope as a
vehicle to assert what I believe in, instead of casting doubts and
aspersions on paranormal claims? I can offer three main points of
explanation.

The first and most important reason is that I cannot prove any of the
paranormal phenomena that I believe in. I consider these to be very
personal and private beliefs, on a level with religious beliefs,
political beliefs or sexual orientation. I may feel in my gut that I
have some glimmer of psychic ability or that extraterrestrial life
definitely exists, but I know intellectually that I cannot prove these
things, and my views are no more "right" than anyone else's. I want for
there to be proof, one way or the other, so that my beliefs can edge
closer toward the realm of knowledge.

I see skepticism as the best approach toward this goal. I demand proof
for extraordinary claims, and when it's not there, I feel compelled to
point out the deficiency. Of course, lack of proof doesn't mean that a
claim is necessarily false. The scientific method is imperfect, as are
the human beings who implement it. But with truth as our objective,
science is the best system for analysis and evaluation that skeptics
have.

The second reason why I am a skeptic is more of a practical decision, a
deliberate bid for widespread credibility. The public at large is
suspicious of fringe topics like paranormal phenomena and any in-depth
discussion thereof, and it's also suspicious of the Internet and the
proliferation of wacko web sites devoted to all manner of crackpot
ideas. As an independent start-up with a web site devoted to fringe
topics, we at ParaScope knew at the outset that we were in for a double
whammy of negative perception. In an effort to forestall this reaction,
I decided it best to make Enigma a skeptical forum based on facts and
documentation, rather than representing paranormal phenomena as true at
face value. In this way I hoped to distinguish Enigma from the throngs o
f poorly-researched and credulous web pages on such topics, and possibly
win over readers accustomed to thinking that everything on the Internet
is full of baloney.

This strategy doesn't always work out. Just as I receive email feedback
criticizing me for being skeptical, I also get plenty of email accusing
me of being a gullible believer. "Your ghost pictures are obviously
fake," they say, or "You mean you idiots actually believe all this crap?
Get a life, you losers!" Apparently when they surf into ParaScope these
folks jump to the conclusion that we're a bunch of lunatics who think
every alien autopsy and Nessie sighting is absolutely real, and they
must not bother to read a word of the text that accompanies all the kewl
picturez. And whenever I tell someone I meet about this web site I write
for, I nearly always get the impression that they think it sounds silly,
no matter how readily I explain that I don't believe in all that stuff.

The third reason for my skepticism is more of a personal issue. As a
writer I am far more interested in being a humorist than a journalist.
When we we starting up ParaScope, I knew that I wanted to use it as a
vehicle for humorous material. But I thought it would be unfair to do
all of the Enigma section as a joke, so I created Fortean Slips, an
isolated humor column where I could go nuts while leaving the rest of
Enigma intact for serious articles. To bolster this self-imposed
dichotomy, I initially resolved that the straight Enigma stories would
be unfailingly objective and impartial, and that I would not allow any
opinions or judgments to be expressed, not even in the form of humor or
sarcasm.

Well, I quickly learned that I was overcompensating for the levity of
Fortean Slips, and that purely objective writing on paranormal matters
is dry, lifeless and horrible, not to mention mind-numbingly difficult
to produce. In particular, I discovered that this editorial stance came
across as weak and lobotomized, complacently accepting the merit of any
paranormal claim even in the face of powerful evidence to the contrary.
I quickly dispensed with my misguided adherence to objectivity, and
began inserting opinions and dissent into my straight Enigma articles,
and before long I was fearlessly writing as a full-fledged skeptic. This
was a necessary move if my writing was going to have any integrity, and
any balls. I must admit, though, that I do really get sick of using the
words "alleged," "supposed" and "so-called," over and over again.

Despite its evolution, my straight Enigma voice still remains distinct
from my wild and wacky Fortean Slips style, a mildly schizophrenic
situation which has led some ParaScope readers to ask if "D. Trull" is a
real person or a pseudonym used by several writers. It's a wonderful and
fitting irony that I have managed to make my readers skeptical about my
own existence.

So that's the long-winded answer to why there's a skeptic running
ParaScope's department on paranormal phenomena, and why I think that's
okay. Being skeptical doesn't mean that you don't believe -- it means
that you're careful about what you believe, and even more careful about
what you say is true. I know that a lot of determined believers won't be
convinced by my explanation, and will continue to think that all
skeptics are patronizing or closed-minded. But I hope that others of you
reading this will now understand that I'm one of you, in a lot of ways.
I'm not a nihilist, I'm not a party pooper, and on the day when some
paranormal phenomenon is finally proven to be real, I'll sing and dance
and party with the best of 'em, by golly. Believe you me.

Of course, now that I've "outed" myself as being somewhat of a believer,
there may be those who accuse me of being a liar or a hypocrite for also
being a skeptic. I can only respond that I know the difference between
my personal feelings and verifiable fact, and unlike some people, I
think it's a good policy not to treat those two things as if they're
interchangeable.

As a human being, I want to believe. As a skeptic, all I'm looking for
is a good reason.

© Copyright 1999 ParaScope, Inc.
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,