-Caveat Lector-

SkeptiNews 990204a - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

: Passages starting with : are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Space mirror to sparkle over world. Russian hopes of brightening the Sib-
erian winter by reflecting sunlight from a mirror in space will be tested
again. http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_271000/271224.stm
# Mirror in sky: http://cnn.com/TECH/space/9902/03/space.mirror/index.html

@ Also: Space mirror groundtrack: http://www.energialtd.com/znamya.htm
@ Znamya 2.5 experiment timetable: http://src.space.ru/inform1-e.htm
@ Znamya space reflector: http://www.space-frontier.org/EVENTS/Znamya/

# Mir's Mirror a No-Go. The Mir space station's troubles with a giant light-
casting mirror apparently mean Russia's north will remain shrouded in wint-
ertime gloom. http://www.wired.com/news/news/technology/story/17729.html

: Will it work or will it won't? Is obliterating night a good idea? Can you
adapt to All DayTime All The Time? Would everything's cycles be thrown off?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Pluto stays a planet. (BBC) Pluto is to remain a planet and not be
reclassified as a minor body. And they said it couldn't happen here -
see http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_271000/271832.stm
# It's official: no 'demotion' for planet Pluto -
see http://cnn.com/TECH/space/9902/03/pluto.saved.reut/index.html

@ Also: Postcard from Pluto: http://www.wrightworks.com/pluto.htm
@ IAU Pluto status page: http://www.ss.astro.umd.edu/IAU/div3/pluto.shtml
# Pluto will have 'dual citizenship':
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_259000/259767.stm
# Pluto may be demoted:
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_257000/257360.stm

: If little Pluto can be a planet, can I be one too? Should Rush Limbo be
launched into orbit and declared a planetoid? Would you like to be a planet?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Look: 3D TV with no goggles. (BBC) An advanced display screen, which could
allow you to move around a three-dimensional virtual world without goggles,
has been developed. 3D videos can be stored on ordinary VHS tapes - see
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_271000/271693.stm

@ Also: 3D displays review
  http://takeo.kulab.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~morris/Cote.HTM
# Classic TV gets digital future
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_193000/193861.stm
# Just a second!
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_150000/150395.stm

: At what point will fantasy landscapes become really virtually real? Do you
want entertainment to be indistinguishable from reality? What *is* reality?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Rodents make human sperm. (BBC) Researchers in Japan claim to have made
rats and mice produce human sperm. Can the sperm can fertilize human eggs?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_271000/271446.stm

# Also: Are you a man or a mouse?
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_51000/51547.stm
# Chemical tricksters may revolutionise contraception
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_259000/259078.stm
# Sperm treatment trial urged
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_257000/257392.stm
# Genetic concerns over fertility treatment
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_235000/235419.stm
# Controversy over fertility wonder technique
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_235000/235545.stm

: Would you want a mouse for a father? Are there certain advantages? Would a
mouse-father spank, cheat, drink, gamble, nurture, bond, take out the trash?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

> INDIA REPORTEDLY GIVES SALMAN RUSHDIE A VISA. India, the first country to
ban the controversial book "The Satanic Verses," has reportedly granted a
visa to author Salman Rushdie for the first time since the 1980s. India,
Rushdie's birthplace, banned "The Satanic Verses" after it provoked angry
protests from Muslims in 1988. Rushdie wouldn't rewrite history - see
http://cnn.com/books/news/9902/04/rushdie.01/

*** Slain gay student's parents comment. CHEYENNE, Wyo. (AP) The parents of
Matthew Shepard, the gay college student beaten to death last October, say
they don't want his death used by activists to further any political agenda.
"It's a very frightening concept as a parent that your son now becomes a
martyr, a public figure for the world. "He's just our son." See
http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2558317960-611

: Does your religious/political/economic/ethical system promote censorship,
assassination, intolerance? Do all or most such systems act thusly? Why?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Spicy Links:

@ The Satanic Army: http://www.ultinet.net/~harwer/religion.htm
@ INTERNATIONAL GHOST HUNTERS SOCIETY: http://www.ghostweb.com
@ AMERICAN GHOST SOCIETY: http://www.prairieghosts.com
@ PSYCHIC FEDERATION: www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/8097/index.html
@ Patterson Sasquatch Film: http://come.to/pattersonfilm
@ Mystery aircraft: http://www.fas.org/irp/mystery/resource.htm
# The Millennium Report: http://persweb.direct.ca/psa/tmr.html
@ American Civil Liberties Union: http://www.aclu.org/index.html

@ Things not to do on a Unicycle: http://www.spoiledrotten.com/
@ The Wisdom of Mr. Spock: http://www.cs.ubc.ca/cgi-bin/nph-spock
@ The Museum of Dirt: http://www.planet.com/dirtweb/dirt.html
@ Demotivators: http://www.despair.com
@ The Really Big Button that Doesn't Do Anything:
  http://www.pixelscapes.com/spatulacity/button.htm
@ The Mozart Effect: http://www.howtolearn.com/Mozart.html

@ Skywatch International: http://www.skywatch-international.org
@ UFOPEDIA DATABASE updated: http://www.ufopedia.mcmail.com
@ The Nine Unknown Men: http://www.brotherblue.org/libers/ninemen.htm
@ British UFO Research Organization: http://www.bufora.org.uk/
@ Eroto-Comatose Lucidity: http://www.brotherblue.org/libers/eroto.htm
@ Is AIDS really a disease? http://www.livelinks.com/sumeria/aids.html
# Truth in Media Global Watch Bulletin: www.truthinmedia.org/Bulletins99
@ The Prophets Conference: http://www.greatmystery.org/conference.html
> GATES: WE'RE JUST SMARTER, THAT'S ALL:
  http://cnn.com/TECH/computing/9902/03/gates.idg/index.html

* [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.sonic.net/~ric * ICQ# 19633976 *
email INFO or SUBSCRIBE SKEPTICHAT to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]