-Caveat Lector-

SkeptiNews 990205a - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

: Passages starting with : are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# CDC ISSUES GUIDELINES ON BIOTERRORISM. In response to a series of threats
in the US recently alleging use of anthrax as a bioterroristic weapon, the
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued interim guide-
lines to assist public health officials to respond to the "growing threat"
of bioterrorism. http://www.healthcentral.com/news/newsfulltext.cfm?ID=9251

# Race to find key to killer flu. (BBC) Scientists are rushing to find the
clues to what caused the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic which killed 40m people
before another strikes. Experts fear another one could be just around the
corner. http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_272000/272081.stm

@ Links: Horizon: http://www.bbc.co.uk/horizon
@ Influenza outbreak: http://www.cdc.gov/od/oc/media/pressrel/panfacts.htm
@ Flu preparations: www.acponline.org/journals/annals/01apr96/pandemic.htm
# Russia gripped by flu during cold snap (UPI):
  http://nt.excite.com/news/u/990204/17/health-cold

: Is flu a better bioterror weapon than anthrax? Is Russia being subjected
to biowar right now? Is this a test-bed for the next flu pandemic? By who?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Tale of Two Numbers. The difference between year 2000 and the next census?
See http://abcnews.go.com/sections/science/WhosCounting/paulos990201.html

# MILLENIUM BABY: COUPLES, START YOUR ENGINES. Who will have the first baby
of the new millenium? If you want to try for this distinction, a New Zealand
doctor says you should synschronize your reproductive efforts for April 9,
the most likely day to have a baby on Jan. 1 in the year 2000. Ready, set,
go... http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/DeanFullTextTopics.cfm?ID=9107

: Will babies born on 1/1/2000 have the Y2K bug? Can they be inoculated?
Will the Y2K US census be too buggy to be usable? Is there a connection?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# 20,000 BABIES BORN VIA ASSISTED REPRODUCTION. More than 20,000 babies were
born in the U.S. with the help of assisted reproductive technology (ART) in
1996. http://www.healthcentral.com/news/newsfulltext.cfm?ID=9172

: When will all humans be test-tube babies? Will we be better for it? Why?

# BABIES ‘SIGN’ FOR FOOD. Can infants communicate about simple things? Yes.
Researchers say infants as young as 9 months can be trained to use American
Sign Language instead of crying to let you know they’re hungry or sleepy.
See http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/DeanFullTextTopics.cfm?ID=9205

: When do humans start communicating? When do we start paying attention? Do
implants improve the process? If telepathy worked, would we learn to speak?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Muslims 'ready for Rushdie sacrifice' (BBC) A leading Muslim cleric says
Muslims should be prepared for any sacrifice if Salman Rushdie visits India.
"We shall pursue Salman Rushdie relentlessly if he comes to India," said
Syed Ahmed Bukhari. "If we have to give our lives, we are ready." Good idea.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/south_asia/newsid_272000/272354.stm

@ Links: Salman Rushdie: http://www.crl.com/~subir/rushdie.html
@ India Ministry of External Affairs: http://www.meadev.gov.in/
@ Bharatiya Janata Party: http://www.bjp.org/
@ Congress Party: http://indiancongress.org/
# Indian Muslims protest visa to Rushdie (UPI):
  http://nt.excite.com/news/u/990205/01/international-rushdie

: Is ritual murder-suicide an effective way to weed-out religious fanatics?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# BARBIE TURNS 40, GETS TATTOO: WILL SHE GET A NICKEL ALLERGY, TOO? Barbie
turns 40 next month and faces a mid-life crisis, so her makers are making
her hipper by giving her a tattoo. Is a nose ring next? If so, Barbie's
chances of getting a nickel allergy are high, along with those of you
sporting nose rings and other body piercings. Infection must be cool too -
see http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/DeanFullTextTopics.cfm?ID=9230

# The Hacker Gap. (ABCnews) What’s it like for a 30-ish hacker gone
corporate to watch a younger, more destructive class of computer vandals
emerge? Contempt flows both ways across the hacker generation gap. See
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/tech/DailyNews/hackers990203.html

# WHERE CAN I FIND THE "BETTER LOVER" CIRCUMCISION STUDY? The study was on
women who had experience with both types of men - and there was no contest.
Women overwhelmingly preferred intact men to circumcised men. Read'em and
weep - http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/DeanFullTextTopics.cfm?ID=9103

: Is anatomy destiny? Is surgery/piercing mutilation? Are implants sexy?
Will age and treachery beat youth and enthusiasm every time? Why not?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# CHINESE HOT POT: WOULD YOU LIKE OPIUM WITH THAT? A Shanghai restaurant was
caught serving opium in its hot pot, in an attempt to keep customers coming
back for more. Opium is, of course, officially illegal in China. This adds a
new dimension to the term "food addiction." Have you checked out MacBurgers
lately? http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/DeanFullTextTopics.cfm?ID=9106

# CHINESE MEDICINE: NOT SO PURE AFTER ALL? We in America have such a
romantic vision of Chinese medicine. Listen up: the Chinese government has
announced new plans today to regulate the practice of Chinese medicine in
China. http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/DeanFullTextTopics.cfm?ID=9156

# LEAD, TOXIC CONTAMINANTS FOUND IN ASIAN FOLK REMEDIES. There's danger in
using Asian folk remedy pills and powders. Some little red pills from China
used to treat menstrual cramps are found to contain dangerously high levels
of lead. http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/DeanFullTextTopics.cfm?ID=9233

: Are folk remedies better than no remedies at all? Is heavy-metal poisoning
or opiate addiction better for menstrual cramping? Is miso addictive too?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Hot Links:

# Contacts with Nonhuman Intelligences: http://www.cninews.com/
# Real Crime News (APBs): http://www.apbonline.com/
# Conspiracy News: http://www.newsmax.com/
@ Area 51 Research Center: http://www.ufomind.com/
@ Bruder Wilhelm Reich: http://www.brotherblue.org/brethren/reich.htm
@ Anarchism - Humanity's Safety Net: http://maxpages.com/anarchism
@ Pleiades Index: http://www.angelfire.com/pa/pleiade/pleiadesindex.html
@ We're watching you at SpOOk Central: http://www.watchingyou.com

"'You take the apple, Adam, girls prefer boas!' Eve said, wrapping it
snugly around her neck." --Barbara C. Kroll

* [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.sonic.net/~ric * ICQ# 19633976 *
email INFO or SUBSCRIBE SKEPTICHAT to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]