-Caveat Lector-

YOU CAN SKIP ALL THIS STUFF IF YOU'VE READ IT ALREADY AND JUST READ WHAT I HAD TO
SAY...IT JUST MAKES THE THINGS EASIER..
--

On Sat, 20 Feb 1999 12:25:24   Kris Millegan wrote:
> [...]

>ruthless, aggressive, criminals, slave owners and conspiring businessmen
>(some of whom, of course, bought a couple of the major Hollywood studios
>a few years ago). Evenso, just as with Latinos and Arabs, it is also
>accurate to report that Hollywood has seldom portrayed Asians and Asian
>Americans in a positive light.
>
>Politics
>

>From a POLITICAL perspective, it's quite apparent that another of these
>consistent patterns of Hollywood movie bias comes in the form of
>negative portrayals of characters and positions representing
>conservative points of view, and positive presentations of characters
>and positions representing a liberal perspective. While Hollywood movie
>villains often hold political views of the extreme right, seldom does
>Hollywood portray its movie villains as political liberals.
>
>Religion
>

>Another blatant Hollywood movie bias occurs with respect to RELIGION.
>Most are just overlooked, but some, including Christianity are
>vigorously attacked in films. In recent decades, Hollywood has portrayed
>Christians as disturbed, phony, sexually rigid, devil worshipping
>cultists, manipulative, hypocritical, murder suspects, talking to God,
>neurotic, fanatical, slick hucksters, Bible quoting Nazis, outlaws,
>psychotic, fake spiritualists, Catholic schoolboys running amok,
>dishonest, Bible pushers, Adam & Eve as pawns in a game between God and
>Satan, unscrupulous, dumb, deranged preachers, an unbalanced nun accused
>of killing her newborn infant, obsessed, mentally unbalanced,
>destructive, foul mouthed, fraudulent and miracle fabricators. That
>pretty much describes your Christian neighbors, doesn't it? Of course,
>I'm not even a religious person, but regardless of how you feel about
>religion and Christianity in particular, the use of a powerful
>communications medium by anyone to consistently portray Christians or
>any other religious characters in this manner is a national disgrace.
>
>South
>

>Still another little recognized Hollywood movie bias regularly appears
>in the form of negative or stereotypical portrayals of WHITES FROM THE
>SOUTH. My studies reveal that during the 1970's, 80s and early '90s
>Hollywood continued a long-established and consistent pattern of
>negative or stereotypical portrayals of Southerners that began as early
>as the 1920s. White Southerners have been most often portrayed as
>hillbillies, eccentrics, murderers and other types of criminals, flawed
>lawmen, country music lovers, being from small towns, cagey Cajuns, oil
>field workers, rednecks, strippers and prostitutes, plantation owners,
>dumb, odd-ball characters, poor, gossips, "the lowest form of human
>life", aimless, lifelong losers, members of the Ku Klux Klan, racists or
>otherwise prejudiced individuals. Hollywood's record with respect to the
>South is nothing more than a combined form of regional and race-based

-------  The REASON "Hollywood" puts people into these stereotypes is beacuse to
actually film or go into detail about a three-dimensional persons real life and
attitude and background takes up too much time, its easier to just have a big headed
big muscled guy save a bus full of stereotypes and his wife and kid(s) than it is to
have him save, a satanistic gothic boy in love with his alcoholic best friend, who has
a molestation in his past a history of using women even though he's gay and a tendency
to switch jobs as soon as people start to suspect he is gay.. a 40 year old women who
just lost her job and has 3 kids who are grown enough to start doing bad but not old
enough to help her pay the rent, she had a stable upbringing and beats herself up
because she can't give her kids the same thing.... etc.. I think you get the point and
this won't even scratch the surface of just those two lives..

>Now, without continuing the litany of the few other specific groups that
>Hollywood has consistently defamed (like Italian-Americans), or
>consistently defamed until just the last few years (like women, gays,
>lesbians and African-Americans--and even those groups are not where they
>ought to be in terms of balanced movie portrayals), I am confident in
>telling you that using a powerful communications medium to consistently
>portray people you don't like in a negative or stereotypical manner is
>wrong! So, let's look more closely at the question of, why is this
>happening? More specifically, why do movies portray these incredibly
>misleading stereotypes and such limited views of the world?

-------- To this I say do not ask this question, for it is irrelevant when it comes to
the real purpose of Hollywood which is entertainment, wealth gain, and sexual
favours..  There is NO CONSPIRACY IN HOLLYWOOD!
Movie making people don't know what they're doing half-the time and they don't care
either.

>Thus, we come full circle back to the reasons why the previously cited
>blatant patterns of bias exist in Hollywood films. Illegal business
>practices have been used to gain and maintain control of the
>Hollywood-based U.S. film industry. That control has been used to hire
>generation after generation of individuals with similar backgrounds and
>interests for the key executive positions at the major studios.
>Additional unscrupulous business practices have been used to extract
>unconscionable profits from the studio movies and to retain most of
>those profits within the Hollywood insider community.

------  Basically you're saying that a bunch of guys (or gals) from rich families hire
each other and do bad things and put bad stuff in the movies your kids watch..,.. and
they hire abused kids grown up to screw each other screen..The bad business you speak
of (unscrupulous business practices/unconscionable profits) must be the many amounts
of drug money, sex money, drugs and sex, and the business of making drugs and sex
'cool'.
There's no conspiracy in Hollywood I would like to have this post stricken from the
record.

Peace,
Halo