-Caveat Lector-

Teo One Thousand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> In a message dated 2/23/99 11:43:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> writes:
>
> << One car was seized Sunday and one today. Officer Theresa Farello, a
police
>  department spokeswoman, could not immediately explain why a car was seized
>  Sunday evening, 1 1/2 hours before the program was to start at midnight.
>   >>

> Easy, GREED.  I still find it absolutely absurd that people in the
mainstream
> are not jumping all over this.  It is an obvious conflict of interest, not
> mention a violation of the right to property and it's free use, and the
> concept of innocent until proven guilty.  Asset forfeiture of any kind is
> totally repugnant to me.
> Teo1000

Teo, I gotta disagree on this. I have absolutely no sympathy for the idiots
who endanger other people--who "spoil someone else's day forever," as my wife
puts it--by driving drunk or high. Taking their cars away immediately, and
*keeping* the cars until there's a verdict in the case instead of putting them
right back out on the street, makes eminent good sense, and I am amazed that
no one thought of it before. And if somebody borrows your car, gets drunk, and
smashes into someone else, damn right you're as responsible as the drunk
driver, and you deserve to have your car confiscated. Philadelphia is cracking
down on uninsured motorists--no insurance, no car--and these DUI confiscations
are a simple matter of public safety. Okay, somebody was hasty and jumped the
gun...but that does not invalidate the concept by any means. I don't like a
lot of what Giuliani has done, but this is a good idea.

BTW, just to declare my prejudices, I am a recovering alcoholic. I know damn
well that there is *no* excuse for driving drunk. It's not a matter of
personal choice--it's a matter of personal sanity, and of recognizing that
whatever you may choose to do with your own life, no way can you be allowed to
impose that personal choice on other people without their consent. If you're
going to get drunk, take a cab. Or walk. But *don't* drive yourself. Commit
suicide if you want...but don't take someone else with you, because that's
what drunk driving amounts to.

Bob

=================================
Robert F. Tatman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Remove "nospam" from the address to reply.

NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed
without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included
information for research and educational purposes. For
more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

POSTING THIS MESSAGE TO THE INTERNET DOES NOT IMPLY PERMISSION TO SEND UNSOLICITED
COMMERCIAL E-MAIL (SPAM) TO THIS OR ANY OTHER INTERNET ADDRESS. RECEIPT OF SPAM WILL
RESULT IN IMMEDIATE NOTIFICATION OF THE SENDER'S ISP.