-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 12/15/98 11:06:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>  Does anyone here know even one person who would be able to enter one
>  of our underground facilities in case of such trouble? Apart from
>  that place in Virginia (?) does anyone know where our underground
>  facilities are? (Not talking about subways.) Are any of them designed
>  to be "open to the public"? Or are we all expendable?

No, i don't.

My recollection is that by the 1970s, most people were mocking what feeble
federal efforts         had been made to carry on in case of a US/USSR nuclear
war.  For me, the most ludicrous was not even the "duck and cover" nonsense,
but rather the Postal Service plan to continue delivering the mail.  God
forbid we should miss an issue of Readers Digest!

Few believed in the efficacy of the few shelters that had been built or
conversions of basements in governmental buildings completed.  The government
folks apparently agreed and the shelter notion was quietly abandoned except
for the few DC elite.  While i agree that we are unprepared for nuclear
weapons hitting our cities, it is not probable that anything practical can be
done.  Those backward shelters of the 1950s would have been money wasted if an
attack would have occurred.  There was a controversial British animation film
on this that was shown on PBS.  There was also an American film with the woman
who headed up the NEA for a time playing a major acting role.  Made you wonder
if survival was necessarily the best thing.

Jerry harp