-Caveat Lector-

http://sun.soci.niu.edu/~crypt/

A refreshing blast of critically cold air from cyberspace, class...

Crypt Newsletter's First Law of Cyberwar: Cyberwar is Hell, but never so hellish
it can't be used as convenient advertising.

>From the Fall 1998 course catalog at George Washington University comes this
little gem of better education through fear as a sales tool:

             IAFF 202.15 Cyber Threats to National Security

             9/27-10/29 Tuesday
             6:10-8:00pm/Harry Lesser and Jim Christy

       If you can read this, you are vulnerable. So is
       everything we take for granted in our prosperous,
       secure, information-age society: the banking system,
       the power grid, our military might and much more.
       This course covers the broad range of cyber threats,
       from the common criminal seeking to empty your pockets
       electronically to the terrorist or rogue nation seeking
       to cause widespread death and destruction. The course
       covers defenses and counters against cyber threats,
       and the efforts being made by government and the
       private sector to bolster their cyber defenses. Taught
       for persons with basic familiarity with computers, you
       can either take this course or risk being road kill on
       the information superhighway.

Take this course or risk being roadkill on the information superhighway.

Hmmmm. Been run over, lately?

Other relevant links:
Jim Christy, the instructor for this course, was working in the Air Force Office
of Special Investigations when it went after the infamous Air Force Rome Labs
hackers in 1994.
Read about how it went.
About the Crypt Newsletter.
Back to Crypt Newsletter

Send a comment: George Smith, Editor

About Crypt Newsletter:

Crypt Newsletter is unique. I've tried to think of other publications like it
and there aren't any. So when someone asks "What's the Crypt Newsletter like?" I
usually answer, "It's like the Crypt Newsletter. You have to read it."

Which is what you are doing or you wouldn't be here.

For those who desire a brief history:

Crypt Newsletter has been on the Web since sometime in 1994 when Jim Thomas,
editor of Computer underground Digest, made space for me on the computers of
Northern Illinois University's Depart of Sociology.

Jim's generosity (for which I'm endlessly grateful -- Crypt Newsletter wouldn't
exist without CuD) came on or slightly before the publication of "The Virus
Creation Labs" which, more or less, was the fruit of the research I put into the
first twenty issues. And I've been here -- in virtual space, anyway -- ever
since.

Crypt Newsletter started life as an electronic mail and bulletin board system
distributed publication in 1992.
So, as for cyberspace journalism, Crypt Newsletter is older than most.
Translated: Been here, done that, if you don't see it, Crypt News tried it and
tossed the idea or wore it out long ago.

Is there a FAQ?

No. FAQs are an Internet invention, largely superfluous sops thrown to those who
lack the sense to pour urine from a boot even when the instructions are printed
on the heel. Are you in need of something like that? Of course not.

Anyway, Crypt Newsletter has been issued regularly every two months with shorter
special editions sent to the subscription list on a weekly or monthly basis
depending upon availability of interesting material.

In the real world, Crypt Newsletter is written and edited in Pasadena,
California.

If you've been reading material on the Website you already know the newsletter
has a strong and extremely critical point of view.

I make the assumption that Crypt Newsletter regulars don't like watered-down
material arbitrarily made that way because some editor has glommed onto the
patronizing idea that those Americans who read their news must be addressed as
if they are intellectual children. And they are readers who don't have much
patience for "edutainment," "infotainment," or any variety of ". . . tainment"
that smudges the distinction between scientific fact and fiction for the sake of
a sexy lead that resembles the opening paragraph of a potential movie script. I
figure that such readers have a pretty sharp appreciation for critical analysis,
too. In other words, readers won't stomach phlogiston.

As a consequence, readership has gone slowly but steadily upward. In 1995, the
Crypt News Website averaged 175-250 readers per day. Now, it fluctuates between
700-1000 readers/day on weekdays, mostly during U.S. business hours. Weekend
statistics fluctuate wildly, perhaps dependent upon how nice the weather
averages out to throughout the continental U.S.

How do others describe the Crypt Newsletter?

Well, here's a recent blurb from the San Jose Mercury News' On-line minister of
information, John Murrell. Thanks, John!
"The presentation is Spartan, but George Smith's Crypt Newsletter home page
offers plenty to entertain and exasperate those who insist on at least a modicum
of fact, accuracy and clear thinking in their tech news. The newsletter deals
with different sorts of myths -- about computer viruses, secret mind-control
weapons, network security, etc., and also takes delight in skewering half-baked
reporting on such issues in the popular media."

And here are a few even more recent samples:
"As those familiar with George Smith's work would expect, [he] is timely and
provocative . . ." -- Michael Vatis, Asst. Director of the FBI and Director,
National Infrastructure Protection Center.
"[Crypt News] is a debunker of the first water who fearlessly fights against the
stuporous and the stupid." -- Linton Weeks, Net Navigator, The Washington Post.

On Crypt Newsletter's coverage of the mythos of electromagnetic pulse gun
threats to computer networks:

"This is great stuff." -- Dorothy Denning, computer science guru, Georgetown
University.

On yet another lacerating Crypt Newsletter analysis:
"Once again you have done a fine job documenting a pile of . . . hokum. -- Gene
Spafford, Net security don, Purdue University.

And generally speaking:

"Excellent, as usual . . . no, actually unusually excellent." -- John Pike,
Federation of American Scientists.

"I can't tell you how much I appreciate Crypt Newsletter when it arrives. I
almost feel like an insider when I read it. It certainly makes me sneer at any
news reports out of the computer industry or the military industrial complex."
-- Floyd Kemske, author of "The Virtual Boss."

". . . priceless!" -- Lewis Z. Koch, intrepid free-lance journalist.

"Again, hats off for the interesting and educational work." -- Tom Ricks, Wall
Street Journal.

"The Crypt Newsletter is difficult to describe but worth a visit. It positions
itself as an antidote for media fear-mongering about viruses, hackers, and
infowar. It persuasively argues that these things are generally much smaller
threats than they are made out to be by ignorant journalists and self-interested
consultants and vendors." -- Ziff-Davis Learning Technology Highlights
Crypt Newsletter or its editor have also been cited in numerous sources. Some of
them have included Forbes, Rocky Mountain News, Scientific American, USA Today,
Science magazine, Aviation Week & Space Technology, Newsday, Der Spiegel, The
Age (Melbourne, Australia), the Manchester Guardian, CNET, WIRED, Brian
McWilliams' PC World On-line RealTime audio radio show, Federal Computer Week,
the Wall Street Journal, Defense News, the Federation of American Scientists'
Secrecy & Government Project (also recommended Crypt Newsletter as an
intelligence source "hotsite"), The Sydney Morning Herald, the National Computer
Security Association's magazine and SPIN.

For more Crypt-oid style, I have also written regularly on subjects dear to the
heart of our readers for the Netly News on TIME Inc's Pathfinder site -- as well
as other publications.
I'm available for speaking engagements, too.

Contacting Crypt Newsletter --

       George Smith
       Crypt News
       1635 Wagner St.
       Pasadena, CA 91106
       ph: 626-568-1748

Relevant links.
·    A slice from "The Virus Creation Labs."
·    Back to Crypt Newsletter

     Feedback: George Smith, Editor