-Caveat Lector-

I dealt with high power microwave transmission for communications purposes in
the USAF for twenty years.  This technology has grown literally by powers of
ten in the time since I first encountered it.  The problem with microwave is
that it requires big doses of power to produce the end product... 3kw
(kilowatts) in put at 50-60 cycles, 3 phases to get 1kw output at 6-8
gigacycles.  The focal point (point of the most concentration of energy) is
approximately 400 ft away from the center of an 8 ft parabolic antenna.  This
is enough energy to fry a bird should it fly through this beam and hover for a
few seconds.  To be a viable mobile weapon you would need megawatts (millions
of watts) to power the equipment... to fry people.  One thing it would do is
to heat up metal (hand weapons) very fast, possibly exploding the powder in
bullets... this would be very possible using larger antennas... higher
amplification of the signal (actually higher concentration of the signal).  If
they have solved the problem of massive power generation, then this would make
a formidable weapon... say a 60 ft parabolic (bowl-shaped) ... it would be
like having a microwave oven the size of a five story apartment building and
you could aim the beam, the focal point would be way off in the distance.  The
bad part about a parabolic antenna is that a portion of the power goes out the
back of the antenna, so you have to be careful about where you aim it.  A
pigtail (shaped like a spring) antenna is very directional, but has lower
gain.
     EMP (electromagnetic pulse) is caused by gamma(?) rays emitted from an
exploding nuclear device.  I don't think you can reploduce this from a radio
transmitter.  Gamma rays are like x-rays... they go through everything unless
stopped by lead, or a thick covering of earth, rock etc.  These rays literally
fry transistors, integrated chips, diodes, anything made of silicon.  That is
why only radios, TVs, any electronic equipment will be a useless paperweight
after a nuclear device is exploded.  The only working electronics will be old
tube-type devices, but they won't have anything to receive since all radio -
TV stations will be down.  About the only thing operating will be a few old
time ham radios (provided they have their own power generating capability).
So, if such a weapon exists... it would be very formidable, putting a halt to
communications, transportation, power generation and distribution... everyone
would be in the dark.
     These are the things I know.  If anyone has something to add, please do.
I have been out of the USAF for almost ten years and I'm sure there has been a
lot of development in that time.  From working in the civilian world... well,
just say that it is a wonder that any of us survive from day to day as
unorganized, corrupt, and inefficient as major corporations are.

Regards,
Bob Stokes