-Caveat Lector-

SkeptiNews 990331a - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

: Passages starting with ':' are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
: Nothing contained herein is ever endorsed for truth, accuracy or meaning.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

> 'MELISSA' MUTATES, RESISTS PATCH. As corporate customers scramble to prot-
ect themselves from the "Melissa" virus, it has begun to mutate and defeat a
widely used patch. The new, quick-spreading virus called Melissa has been
wreaking havoc since Friday afternoon. In its early going, the virus could
be known by its subject header, which read "Important Message From ..." But
now a variant of the virus leaves the subject line blank. Hundreds of sites
hit - see http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9903/30/melissamutate.idg/

: If you were a virus, how would you mutate and evolve? Will computer virii
soon be immune to all sterilization efforts? Is global networking doomed?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

> MALE FERTILITY TREATMENT MAY ALTER EMBRYOS. A break-through treatment for
male infertility may cause abnormalities in fertilized eggs. Intracytoplas-
mic sperm injection, ICSI, was introduced in 1993 to help men with low sperm
counts become fathers. The technique involves injecting a single sperm into
an egg. Researchers who studied a small group of rhesus monkeys treated via
ICSI found that two proteins normally stripped from the sperm during fertil-
ization remain attached following the procedure. Proteins presence causes
unusual interaction: http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/9903/30/fertility.defect/

: Is it worth it to you to produce abnormal embryos, to be fertile? Are you
just doing your part to promote mutation and evolution? Is mutation funny?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

*** Personal TV recorder debuts. SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) 8 years ago, Anthony
Wood decided that he didn't want to miss another second of Star Trek, so he
went to work on designing a digital VCR that could search for programs and
record them on a computer disk. This week the first personal video recorder
is rolling out for consumers. For $500 to $1,000, viewers get on-demand pro-
gramming from a black box that sits on their TV set and collects shows based
on their individual taste. Want to see every show coming through your TV
about bananas? Beer? Starring Doris Day? Just program your TV and watch
away. See http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2558987733-650

# Samsung Unveils World's Smallest Internet Phone. SEOUL (Reuters) - South
Korea's Samsung Electronics Tuesday unveiled what it called the world's
smallest Internet cellular phone, able to access and display information
from the Internet. Weighing 158 grams (5.5 oz), the "smart phone" has a 30mm
x 70mm (1.1 inch to 2.7 inch) touch screen panel, which offers "touch mail"
capability to send text messages and pictures. CDMA (code division multiple
access) technology: http://nt.excite.com/news/r/990330/07/odd-korea-phone

: When will these devices become so small that you'll have your TV recorder,
WebPhone, TeleDildonics system and microwave oven all embedded in your body?
Can you simultaneously view, email, surf, orgasm and cook? Are you confused?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# A NEW MEANING FOR 'SKIN FLICK'. Betcha can't guess which supermodel has
acne scars. Now you don't have to. A dermatologist's magnifying mirror
reveals the flaws in famous complexions. Dig for moles, scan for scars -
see www.wired.com/news/news/email/explode-infobeat/culture/story/18813.html

: How much scrutiny can you or any human withstand? If you were of another
species, or a cyborg, or an alien, or a deity, would you put up with this?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Man Jailed For Slavery. TALLINN (Reuters) - An Estonian court sentenced a
Finnish man to five years in prison for keeping a 40-year-old man chained up
on a dog leash for nine days in 1997 to work off a $1,700 debt. Witnesses
told police they had seen the worker in chains at the home of 26-year-old
Pasi Roinineni. http://nt.excite.com/news/r/990331/08/odd-slave

: Have you ever been enslaved by a non-governmental entity? Would you rather
be enslaved by Finns, taxmen, aliens, agribiz, a dominatrix, lusts & fears?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Rally at AREA 51. "This is an invitation for the public and the press to
participate in and to cover the upcoming event known as The People's Rally
at AREA 51 in Nevada. The People's Rally at AREA 51 will take place as
scheduled on Saturday-Sunday, June 5-6, 1999, right at the restricted boun-
dary line on Groom Lake Road (in Lincoln County, Nevada). And have a brewski
at the Little Ale-E-Inn: http://www.eagle-net.org/groomwatch/#rally

: Will participants at Area 51 rallies by abducted by aliens, Camo Dudes,
sheriffs, cosmetics testing labs, Finnish slavemasters, dominatrices, me?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ BENT QUOTE (SORT OF) -- "It is rumored that Ben Guiat was seen aboard the
Hale-Bopp companion just before the American Journal exposé while receiving
a case of Phenobarbital cocktails implicating involvement in a sinister
scheme designed to reinvigorate a sagging career".  -- Internet conspiracy
Generator: http://www.westword.com/extra/conspire.html

: Are automatically-generated conspiracies easier to follow than real or
imagined conspiracies? What limitations would you impose on conspiracies?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

SkeptiLinks:

@ Kosovo Privacy Project: http://www.anonymizer.com/kosovo
# KOSOVO UPDATES: http://CNN.com/Kosovo/
  and http://nt.excite.com/news/242/37723
  and http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/special_report/1998/kosovo/

# PROUT - PROgressive Utilisation Theory: http://www.prout.org
# Global Times - Progressive News: http://www.globaltimes.net
# New Renaissance: A Journal of Awakening: http://www.ru.org

@ PSY WARS - Hitler's Last Weapon:
  http://www.qedcorp.com/book/psi/hitweapon.html
@ The hoaxed Schulgen memo and the truth of the matter:
  http://www.parascope.com/articles/0597/schulgen.htm
@ Yugoslav involvement of US and German intelligence services:
  http://www.suc.org/~kosta/tar/external/e-cia-XX0395-strategic_policy.html

# Dial X For Sex In Brothel-On-Wheels
  http://nt.excite.com/news/r/990330/07/odd-wheels
# County Drops Road Program Over Ku Klux Klan Sign
  http://nt.excite.com/news/r/990331/08/odd-klan

@ FORTY-FIVE YEARS OF CIA DRUG TRAFFICKING
  http://www.defraudingamerica.com/more_info_cia.html
@ The Duplicity of the War on Drugs:
  http://www.cia.com.au/serendipity/wod/dupl.html
@ Drugs and intelligence agencies:
  http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Congress/7727/drugs.htm
@ Exposing the Drug Warriors:
  http://speech.csun.edu/ben/news/cia/war.html

"Nydia found one of the drawbacks of being a werewolf was coming into heat
during a full moon and later giving birth to decituplets." --R.W. O'Bryan

* [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.sonic.net/~ric * ICQ# 19633976 *
email INFO or SUBSCRIBE SKEPTICHAT to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SkeptiChat archives: http://www.sonic.net/~ric/sc/files.htm