-Caveat Lector-

                     Weird Science
                     -- Special to ABCNEWS.com

                     While surfing the Net a few days ago, I
                     chanced upon the Hume and Bacon
                     Institute for Alternative Science just
                     outside Edinburgh, Scotland.
                         This low-profile research facility has
                     just published some of its recent findings
                     in the British science journal Languet
                     (Vol. 233, 1999). As the details of the
                     article become known, they will prove
                     quite startling to many.
                          In a news conference, Paul A.
                     Yiannis, the institute’s shy yet
                     pugnacious director, stated that his staff
                     had convincingly verified a number of
                     controversial claims.

                     UFOs and ESP
                     The first involves a strange piece of metal
                     found in Roswell, N.M., where many
                     believe an alien spacecraft crashed in
                     1947.
                          The fragment has quite an amazing
                     property: It exerts a faint physical
                     attraction on every information-processing
                     instrument so far tested. Moreover, this
                     attraction is nine times as strong one foot
                     away from the metal as it is one yard
                     away.
                          What to make of the fragment’s effect
                     is open to differing interpretations, but it
                     can no longer be denied. Yiannis
                     maintains that the relation of this
                     phenomenon to the new physics of string
                     theory will be an active area of research in
                     the 21st century.
                          The institute’s article also deals with
                     psychic readings. It concludes that labs
                     all over the globe have demonstrated that
                     psychics are indeed frequently correct in
                     their assessments of others.
                          Moreover, there are documented
                     cases where they have correctly
                     described the characteristics and life
                     experiences of dead relatives of subjects.
                     Yiannis also pointed to the literally
                     thousands of cases of dreams prefiguring
                     events that occurred the next day and
                     mentioned the counterintuitive laws of
                     quantum mechanics. Determining the
                     consequences of these laws, he referred
                     to puckishly as “walking the Planck” —
                     after the German physicist Max Planck.
                          Toward the end of the news
                     conference, Yiannis showily popped a pill
                     and enthused, “And while I’m at it, I can
                     state with certainty that the taking of
                     homeopathic remedies and countless
                     other alternative remedies is followed
                     many times by complete remission. This
                     is especially so after the patient has had
                     a serious medical crisis. The dismissal of
                     these claims of remission would be the
                     act of a closed mind.”
                          Again the paper contains copious
                     documentation and personal testimonials.

                     Math Behind the Miracles?
                     The institute’s 83-page Languet survey of
                     alternative science also refers to a report
                     on the trigonometry and calculus that
                     practitioners need for astrological and
                     biorhythmic predictions. Sometimes it’s
                     considerable, and the claim is made that
                     many equations and theorems used in
                     astrology and biorhythmic analysis are
                     universal truths.
                          Related to these phenomena, there’s
                     a brief discussion of the strange
                     numerological properties of the numbers
                     23 and 28. The numbers, some believe,
                     are the periods for a metaphysical male
                     and a female principle, respectively. They
                     have the special property that by adding
                     and subtracting appropriate multiples of
                     them, one can express any whole number
                     whatsoever. That is, any number at all
                     can be written as 23X + 28Y for suitable
                     choices of X and Y. For example, 6 = (23
                     x 10) + (28 x -8).
                          The institute’s paper is evasive on
                     some issues as, for example, when it
                     underscores that UFOs are indeed
                     unidentified flying objects but doesn’t
                     address the issue of alien abductions.
                     And some areas of alternative science are
                     deemed invalid by the institute’s staff.
                          One of these is phrenology, the belief
                     that head shape helps determine
                     personality. Yiannis, however, seemed a
                     bit self-conscious when answering a
                     reporter’s question on phrenology.
                     Onlookers couldn’t help but notice his
                     small, lumpy, asymmetric head.
                          The reaction of the scientific
                     community to Yiannis’ claims in Languet
                     has been muted so far. I, for one, endorse
                     his assertions — with a few qualifications
                     listed below.

                     A professor of mathematics at Temple
                     University, John Allen Paulos is the
                     author, most recently, of Once Upon a
                     Number. His column for ABCNEWS.com
                     appears the first day of each month.

                     Copyright 1999 ABC News Internet
                     Ventures

                      OTHER SCIENCE NEWS

                      -
                       Weird Science
                      -
                       Dolly the Sheep Has Triplets
                      -
                       Ice Age Fossils Unearthed
                      -
                       Carbon Dioxide Hurting Coral Reefs
                      -
                       No Calm Spring on Uranus
                      -
                       More Science News headlines

                                                     S U M M A R Y

                                                     Mathematician John
                                                     Allen Paulos checks
                                                     out mathematical
                                                     proofs offered for
                                                     bizarre occurrences.

                                                     RELATED STORIES ON
                                                     ABCNEWS.COM

                                                     Who’s Counting? Archive

                               GO Network partners
   ABC.com
             ABCNEWS.com
                           Disney.com
                                        ESPN.com
                                                    Family.com
                                                                 MrShowbiz

            INFOSEEK SEARCH
                               Tips  | Advanced Search  |  GOguardian™ is off

About GO Network

                Advertise on GO

                              Make GO your start page

                                                 Add URL

                                                         Intranet Software

                                                                        Jobs

 Copyright ©DEI. 1999 GO Network. All rights reserved.
                                               Contact us     Disclaimer
Privacy policy