-Caveat Lector-

All:

After reading countless news reports and participating in several
discussions about America's/NATO's role in the defense of Kosovo, I have
come to the conclusion that few people have been given even a basic primer
in the history of this region's conflicts. All decisions regarding our role
in this conflict--especially those made by our government and
NATO--appear to have been made in complete blindness to the political and
social realities of the region.

Taking the propaganda of American media at face value, obviously something
must be done, by us, to mitigate the suffering and slaughter which has been
thrust upon the Kosovars. But what?

I, for example, have contended in several posts that the best course of
action would be to train and arm the Kosovars in a manner which would best
insure their self defense.

This contention has been based on an, at best rudimentary, understanding of
the region's history. Kosovo, as I understand (and anyone correct me if I'm
wrong), was just one of several "states" within the greater territory of
Yugoslavia (so founded by treaty after WWII)  which included several others
such as Albania, Bosnia and Montinegro. After the collaps of the Soviet
Union, several of these states declared their independence--including, most
notably Kosovo. Slobodan Milosevic has tried, through various dispicable
deeds and at various times in the recent past, to
re-assert control over these new nation-states with debatable success.

Assuming that any error in my historic recall above is represented at least
in part on an "official" level, and further that political/military
decisions are made on the basis of these errors, we are in deep trouble
indeed!

I cannot help believe that there is someone out there with greater
knowledge of the region than I--even greater, perhaps, than that of our
leaders--who could prescribe a better plan of action than to bomb a nation
senseless and, by so doing, ensure the very slaughter which is the focus of
our outrage.

These are ominous times and mass ignorance is a dangerous addition to such
times. As we ponder sending troops into an already inflamed situation with
the clear potential of escalating into a cataclysmic global war, should we
not search for answers first? What can we or should we do about Kosovo?

Edward   ><>
"From the rage of today's downtrodden comes the revenge of tomorrow's
               revolutionary force." Edward Britton   ><>
         http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5285/connector1.html
Talk to the planet: http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/Reality_Pump2