-Caveat Lector-

On December 10, 2002, the Joint 9/11 Congressional  Inquiry released Part 1
of its findings and conclusions concerning the terrorist attacks of 9/11.
When the inquiry started, the panel heard from Kristen Breitweiser, who lost
her husband at the WTC on 9/11. Kristen was selected by the families of the
victims to represent them before Congress. Her riveting, emotional testimony
posed a number of compelling questions that she asked Congress to answer.
Despite her testimony, Congress has avoided answering all of the specific
questions posed by the families of the victims and instead cleverly turned
the hearings into one about general intelligence failures.  Here are just
ten questions that every American deserves to have answered:

*   How could the FBI not have known about the hijacking when they had
an informant living with two of the hijackers for several months in San
Diego less than a year before the 9/11 attacks? (Ref: 9/18/02 Joint
intelligence Inquiry testimony of Kristen Breitweiser)

*   Why did FBI headquarters promote a Special Supervisory Agent after
he "thwarted" and "sabotaged" the Zacarias Moussaoui investigation that
could have prevented 9/11? (Ref: letter to FBI Dir. Robert Mueller from
Minnesota FBI General Counsel Colleen Rowley, published May 21, 2002 by
Time)

*   Why did FBI headquarters refuse to investigate two of the hijackers
after an FBI field agent pleaded with them to do so? (Ref: Sept. 2002 Joint
Inquiry testimony)

*   Why did FBI Director, Robert Mueller, lie on May 8, 2002 when he
said: "there was nothing the agency could have done to anticipate and
prevent the attacks." ((Ref: 9/18/02 Joint intelligence Inquiry testimony of
Kristen Breitweiser)

*   Why did National Security Advisor, Condelezza Rice lie on March 11,
2002 (and other times) when she said: "I don't think anybody could have
predicted that these people would take an airplane and slam it into The
World Trade Center. . .that they would try to use an airplane as a missile,
a hijacked airplane as a missile." (Ref:  Sept. 1999 CIA Sociology and
Psychology of Terrorism Report that states: "Suicide bombers belonging to
Al-Qaeda's martyrdom battalion could crash-land an aircraft packed with high
explosives into the Pentagon, CIA Headquarters, or the White House." One of
12 such forewarnings uncovered by the Joint Inquiry)

*   Why has the SEC never determined who profited from shorting the
stocks of United and American airlines by 10 times normal and WTC tenants,
Merrill Lynch and Morgan Stanley Dean Whitter, by 50 times normal on the
three business days before the attacks? (Ref: Michael Ruppert, numerous From
the Wilderness articles by Ruppert and Tom Flocco, www.copvcia.com)

*   Why did the CIA not notify the State Dept. and FBI that two of the
hijackers already suspected of involvement in the U.S.S. Cole bombing had
entered the country? (Ref: Sept. 2002 Joint Inquiry testimony)

*   How could the NSA not have known of the 9/11 plot if they had been
intercepting bin Laden related calls for years before 9/11? (Ref: African
embassy bombing trial transcripts and 9/12 statements by Sen. Orrin Hatch to
the Associated Press)

*   Why was the National Reconnaissance Office conducting just such a
hijacking plane crash scenario for their office towers on the exact same day
that the WTC and Pentagon were attacked? (Ref: Christopher Bollyn, "Spy
Drill Simulated 9/11 Attacks, American Free Press, November 11, 2002, and
promotional material for CIA officer John Fulton, chief of NRO strategic
gaming division)

*   Why do the CIA and the FBI directors refuse to hold anyone in any of
their organizations accountable for any part of the 9/11 failures? (Ref:
Oct. 2002 Joint Inquiry testimony of CIA director George Tenet and FBI Dir.
Robert Mueller)

As members of the Joint Intelligence Committee sabotaged the Congressional
investigation, the Bush administration sabotaged the "independent"
investigation by ensuring that it would not be independent. The
administration adamantly opposed the investigation until Kristen Breitweiser
and Steve Push testified before Congress on 9/18/02 for the Joint Inquiry.
The administration then publicly stated that they would support the
investigation while working behind closed doors to sabotage it.
Specifically, the administration demanded that Bush appoint the head of the
inquiry and that at least six of the 10 members must concur with any
subpoena that is issued for someone to testify. (as reported by the N.Y.
Times, U.S.A. Today, etc).

Bush took this opportunity to appoint fellow Bohemian Grove attendee, Henry
Kissinger, to chair the investigation. Kissinger rose to power by
interrogating members of the Nazi SS after World War II to determine who
should be prosecuted. He was instrumental in bringing Nazi scientists who
conducted human experiments to America under Operation Paperclip. In a
January 1961 closed door Congressional session, Col. Michael Goleniewski,
the highest ranking Polish intelligence officer, exposed Kissinger, whose
code name was BOR, as one of many Communist agents in the ODRA spy network.
Nevertheless, Kissinger went on to serve as National Security Advisor for
Richard Nixon, another fellow Bohemian Grove attendee. (Ref: Robert Pelton,
Traitors, Treason and Treachery, Author's Choice).

The definitive statement about the 9/11 attacks was made in Congressional
testimony by Kristen Breitweiser for the families of the victims  Her
statement in its entirety is a  must read for all Americans:

Statement of
Kristen Breitweiser
Co-ChairPerson
September 11th Advocates

Concerning the Joint-9/11 Inquiry
Senate Select Committee on Intelligence
House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence
September 18, 2002

I would like to thank the families of the 3000 victims for allowing me to
represent them, here today, before the Joint Intelligence Committee. It is a
tremendous honor. Testifying before this committee is a privilege and an
enormous responsibility that I do not take lightly. I will do my best not to
disappoint the families or the memories of their loved ones.

Toward that end I ask the members present, here today to find in my voice
the voices of all of the family members of the victims of September 11th.  I
would also ask for you to see in my eyes, the eyes- of the more than- 10,000
children who are now forced to grow up without the love, affection, and
guidance of-a mother or a father who was tragically killed on September 11.

I would now like to thank the members of the Joint Intelligence Committee,
Eleanor Hill, and her staff for giving the families this opportunity to be
heard. It has, been an excruciating and overwhelming 12 months, and it is
now tine for our words and our concerns to be heard by you.

My three-year-old daughter's most enduring memory of her father will be
placing flowers on his empty grave. My most     enduring memory of my
husband, Ronald Breitweiser, will be his final words to me, "Sweets, I'm
fine; I don't want you to worry, I love you.'' Ron uttered those words while
he was watching men and women jump to their deaths from the top of Tower
One. Four minutes later, his Tower was hit by United Flight 175. I never
spoke to my husband again.

I don't really know what happened to him. I don't know whether he jumped or
he choked to death on smoke. I don't know whether he sat curled up in a
corner watching the carpet melt in front of him, knowing that his own death
was soon to come or if he was alive long enough to be crushed by the
buildings when they collapsed. These are the images that haunt me at night
when I put my head to rest on his pillow.

I do know that the dream I had envisioned, that I so desperately needed to
believe-that he was immediately turned to ash and floated up to the heavens,
was, simply not his fate. I know this because his wedding band was recovered
from ground-zero with a part of his left arm. The wedding band is charred
and scratched, but still perfectly round and fully intact. I wear it on my
right hand, and it will remain there until the day I die.

September 11th was the devastating result of a catalogue of failures on
behalf-of our government and its agencies. My husband and the approximately
3000 others like him went to work and never came home. But were any of our
governmental agencies doing their job on that fateful morning? Perhaps, the
carnage and devastation of September 11th speaks for itself in answering
this question.

Our, intelligence agencies suffered an utter collapse in their duties and
responsibilities leading up to and on September 11th. But, their negligence
does not standalone. Agencies like the Port Authority; the City of NY; the
FAA; the INS; the Secret Service, NORAD, the Air Force, and the airlines
also failed our nation that morning. Perhaps, said more cogently, one
singular agency's failures do not eclipse another's. And it goes without
saying that the examination of the intelligence agencies by this Committee
does not detract, discount or dismantle the need for a more thorough
examination of all of these other culpable parties.

An independent blue-ribbon panel would be the most appropriate means to
achieve such a thorough and expansive examination, in large part, because it
would not be limited in scope or hindered by time limits. An independent
blue-ribbon panel would provide a comprehensive, unbiased and definitive
report that the devastation of September 11th demands.

Soon after the attacks, President Bush stated that there would come a time
to look -back and examine our nation's failures, but that such a undertaking
was inappropriate while the nation was still in shock. I would respectfully
suggest, to President Bush and to our Congress that now, a full year later,
it is time to look back and investigate our failures as a nation. A hallmark
of democratic government is a willingness to admit to, analyze and learn
from
Mistakes. And, it is now time for our nation, to triumph as the great
democracy that it is.

The families of the victims of September 11th have waited long enough. We
need to have answers. We need to have accountability. We need to feel safe
living and working in this great nation.

Specific Threats as to Using Planes as Weapons

On May 17th 2002, National Security Advisor Condoleeza Rice stated
emphatically "I don't think anybody could have predicted that these people
would take an airplane and slam it into The World Trade Center. . .that they
would try to use an airplane as a missile, a hijacked airplane as a
missile."

The historical facts illustrate differently:

*In 1993, a $ 150,000 study was commissioned by the Pentagon to investigate
the possibility of an airplane being used to bomb national landmarks. A
draft document of this was circulated throughout the Pentagon, the Justice
Department and to FEMA.

*In 1994 a disgruntled FEDEX employee invaded the cockpit of a DC-10 with
plans to crash it into a company building in Memphis.

*In 1994, a lone pilot crashed a small plane into a tree on the White House
grounds.

*In 1994, an Air France flight was hijacked by members of the Armed Islamic
Group with the intent to crash the plane into the Eiffel Tower.

* In January 1995; Philippine authorities investigating Abdul Murad, an
Islamic terrorist, unearthed "Project Bojinka." Project Bojinka's primary
objective was to blow up 11 airliners over the Pacific, and in the
alternative, several planes were to be hijacked and flown into civilian
targets in the US. Among the targets mentioned were CIA headquarters, The
World Trade Center, the Sears Tower, and the White House. Murad told US
intelligence officials that he would board any American commercial aircraft
pretending to be an ordinary passenger. And he would then hijack the
aircraft, control its cockpit and dive it at the CIA headquarters.

*In 1997, this pilot re-surfaced with the trial of Ramsi Yousef - the
mastermind behind the 1993 bombings of The World Trade Center. During the
trial, FBI agents testified that "the plan targeted not only the CIA but
other US government buildings in Washington, including the Pentagon."

*In September 1999, a report, The Sociology and Psychology of Terrorism. was
prepared for US. intelligence by the Federal Research Division, an arm of
the Library of Congress. It stated, "Suicide bombers belonging to Al Qaeda's
Martyrdom Battalion could crash-land an aircraft packed with high explosives
(c-4 and semtex) into the Pentagon, the headquarters of the CIA, or the
White House."

This laundry list of historical indicators - in no way exhaustive -
illustrates that long before September 11th the American intelligence
community had a significant amount of information about specific terrorist
threats to commercial airline travel in America, including the possibility
that a plane would be used as a weapon.

Failure to Make Warnings Public

On March 11th 2002, Director of the CIA, George Tenet stated, "in broad
terms last summer that terrorists might be planning major operations in the
United States. But, we never had the texture-meaning enough information to
stop what happened."

On May 8th 2002, Director of the FBI, Robert Mueller stated, "there was
nothing the agency could have done to anticipate and prevent the attacks."

Once again the historical facts indicate differently:

* Throughout the spring and early summer of 2001, intelligence agencies
flooded the government with warnings of possible terrorist attacks against
American targets, including commercial aircraft by AlQaeda and other groups.
The warnings were vague but sufficiently alarming to prompt the FAA to issue
four information circulars; or IC's, to the commercial airline industry
between June 22nd and July 31st, warning of possible terrorism.

*On June 22, the military's Central and European Commands imposed "Force
Protection Condition Delta" the highest anti-terrorist alert.

*On June 28th, National security advisor Condoleeza Rice said: "It is highly
likely that a significant AlQaeda, attack is in the near future, within
several weeks."

*As of July 3lst, the FAA urged U.S. airlines to maintain a "high degree of
alertness".

* One FAA circular from late July, noted according to Condoleeza Rice that
there was `no specific target, no credible info of attack to US
civil-aviation interests, but terror groups are known to be planning and
training for hijackings and we ask you therefore to use caution:"

* Two counter-terrorism officials described the alerts of the early and
mid-summer 2001 as "the most urgent in decades."

One thing remains clear from this history. Our intelligence agencies were
acutely aware of a domestic risk posed by AlQaeda. A question that remains
unclear is how many lives could have been saved had this information been
made more public.

Airport security officials could have gone over all the basics, again, of
the steps needed to prevent hijackings. The policy of allowing passengers to
carry razors and knives with blades of up to four inches in length could
have come under scrutiny. Indeed, officials could have issued an emergency
directive prohibiting such potential weapons in carry-on bags. Finally, all
selectees under the Computer Assisted Passenger Pre-Screening System
(CAPPS), and their carry-on luggage and checked bags, could have been
subjected to additional screening. Apparently, none were on September 11th,
although internal FAA documents indicate that CAPPS selected some of the
hijackers.

And how many victims may have thought twice before board an aircraft? Haw
many victims would have chosen to fly on private planes. How many victims
may have taken notice of these Middle Eastern men while they were boarding
their plane?    Could these men have been stopped? Going further, how many
vigilant employees would have chosen to immediately flee Tower 2 after they
witnessed the blazing inferno in Tower 1, if they only had known that an
AlQaeda terrorist attack was imminent?

Could the devastation of September 11 been diminished in any degree had the
government's information been made public in the summer of 2001?

Failure to Investigate and Share Information

On July 5th, the government's top counter-terrorism official, Richard Clarke
stated to a group gathered at the White House: "Something really spectacular
is going to happen here, and it's going to happen soon."

The group included the FAA, the Coast Guard, the FBI, the Secret Service,
and the INS. Clarke directed every counter-terrorist office to cancel
vacations, defer non-vital travel, put off scheduled exercises and place
domestic rapid response teams on much shorter alert.

For six weeks last summer at home and abroad, the U.S. government was at the
highest possible state of readiness - and anxiety - against imminent
terrorist attack.

A senior FBI official attending the White House meeting on July 5th
committed the bureau to redouble contacts with its foreign counterparts and
to speed up transcription and analysis of wiretaps obtained under the
Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA), among other steps.

But when the field agent in Phoenix, Arizona, reported the suspicions of a
hijacking plot just five days later, the FBI did not share the report with
any other agency. One must ask why?

That report written by Agent Kenneth Williams, now well known as the
"Phoenix Memo," recommended that the FBI investigate whether Al Qaeda
operatives were training at U.S. flight schools. Williams posited that Osama
Bin Laden's followers might be trying. To infiltrate the civil aviation
system as pilots, security guards or other personnel, and he recommended a
national program to track suspicious flight school students. Agent Williams
was dead-on point.

But in the summer of 2001, while our nation was at its highest state of
alert his memo was flatly ignored. And what result if it hadn't been
ignored? What if his memo was promptly placed on INTELINK, SIPRNET, or
NIPRNET? What if other agents had the same suspicions in Florida,
California, Georgia, Ohio, and Nevada? Could the terrorists have been
stopped?

On August 15, 2001, an alert civilian instructor at a Minnesota flight
school called the FBI and said, "Do you realize that a 747 loaded with fuel
can be a bomb?" The next day; Zacarias Moussaoui was arrested. After
investigating Zacarias Moussaoui's past, the FBI (with the help of French
Intelligence) learned that he had Islamic extremist connections. They also
knew that he was interested in flight patterns around New York City, and
that he had a strong desire to fly big jets, even though at the time he
didn't have so much as a license to fly a Cessna.

And then what happened?

The FBI office in Minnesota attempted to get a FISA warrant but they were
rebuffed. A crucial mistake because Zacarias Moussaoui's possessions
contained evidence that would have exposed key elements of the September
11th plot.

But, why was this request denied? Again, the historical facts must be
analyzed.

In March 2001, an internal debate ignited at the Justice Department and the
FBI over wiretap surveillance of certain terrorist groups. Prompted by
questions raised by Royce C. Lamberth, the Chief Judge of the FISA Court,
the Justice Department opened an inquiry into Michael Resnick, an FBI
official who coordinated the Act's applications. Attorney General John
Ashcroft and Robert Mueller (then deputy Attorney General) ordered a full
review of all foreign surveillance authorizations.

Justice-Department and FBI officials have since acknowledged the existence
of this internal investigation, and said that the inquiry forced officials
to examine their monitoring of several suspected terrorist groups including
AlQaeda. And while senior   FBI and Justice Department officials contend
that the internal investigation did not affect their ability to monitor
AlQaeda, other officials have acknowledged that the inquiry might have
hampered electronic surveillance of terror groups. The matter remains highly
classified.

What is not classified is that in early September a Minnesota FBI agent
wrote an analytic memo on Zacarias Moussaoui's case, theorizing that the
suspect could fly a plane into The World Trade Center. And, tragically,
this, too, was ignored.

Also ignored by U.S. intelligence agencies was the enormous amount of
trading activity on the Chicago Exchange Board and in overseas markets. Our
intelligence agencies readily use Promis software to analyze these kinds of
market indicators that presented themselves in the weeks prior to September
11th. Why were these aberrational trades and market swings ignored? We were
at the highest state of alert. An attack by AlQaeda was expected to occur at
any given moment. And yet, massive amounts of trades occurred on American
Airlines, United Airlines, re-insurance companies and leaseholders in the
World Trade Center and none of our watchdogs noticed?

Perhaps even more disturbing is the information regarding Khalid al-Midhar
and Nawaf Alhazmi, two of the hijackers. In late August, the CIA asked the
INS to put these two men on a watch list because of their ties to the
bombing of the U.S. S. Cole. On August 23, 2001, the INS informed the CIA
that both men had already slipped into the country: Immediately thereafter,
the CIA asked the FBI to find al-Midhar and Alhazmi. Not a seemingly hard
task in light of the fact that one of them was listed in the San Diego phone
book, and the other took out a bank account in his own name, and finally, an
FBI informant happened to be their roommate.

But, again, our intelligence agencies failed.

Were the Terrorists Already Under Surveillance?

It was only after the devastation of September 11th that our intelligence
agencies seemed to get back on track.

One September 12, 2001, The New York Times reported, "On Tuesday a few hours
(emphasis added) after the attacks, FBI agents descended on flight schools,
neighborhoods, and restaurants in pursuit of leads. The FBI arrived at
Huffman Aviation at about 2:30 am., Wednesday morning: They walked out with
all the school's records, including photocopies of the men's passports."

The New York Times also reported that students at Embry Riddle Aeronautical
University said-that within hours (emphasis added) of the attacks FBI
investigators were seen at their school. How did they know which
neighborhoods, which flight schools, and which restaurants to investigate so
soon into the case?

The New York Times went on to report that "federal agents questioned
employees at a store in Bangor, Maine where five Arab men believed to be the
hijackers tried to rent cell phones late last week. Store employees at first
refused to sell the phones because the men lacked proper identification, but
they gave in after the five offered $3000 cash, store employees and an
airport official said."

The article goes on to state, "the men then phoned Bangor airport trying to
get a flight to Boston but were told that there was no flight that matched
their desired departure time, the authorities said. The men then phoned
Portland, International Jetport, where two of them apparently made
reservation for a flight to Boston on Tuesday morning."

How would this information be gleaned so quickly? How would the FBI know to
visit a store in Bangor, Maine only hours after the attacks? Moreover, how
would they know the details of a phone conversation that occurred a week
prior to the attacks? Were any of the hijackers already under surveillance?
It has been widely reported that the hijackers ran practice runs on the
airline routes that were chosen on September 11th. Did our intelligence
agencies ever shadow these men on any of their prior practice runs?
Furthermore, on September 12th, The New York Times reported that,
"authorities said they had also identified accomplices in several cities who
had helped plan and execute Tuesday's attacks. Officials said they knew who
these people were and important biographical details about many of them.
They prepared biographies of each identified member of the hijack teams and
began tracing the recent movements of the men."

How were complete biographies of the terrorists and their accomplices
created in such short time? Did our intelligence agencies already have open
files on these men? Were they already investigating them? Could the attacks
of September 11th been prevented?

The speed by which the FBI was able to locate, assimilate, and analyze a
small amount of information so soon after the   attacks - barely one day
later, perhaps answers this question for itself. But, if the terrorists were
under investigation why were they ever permitted to board those planes?
Perhaps, even more potently, why if such an investigation was underway, why
was our nation so late in responding to the emergency that quickly unfolded
that day?

Too Many Questions Remain

Too many questions remain. Topping the list of unanswered questions are
those that involve our, nation's coordination, communication and response to
the attacks that morning, The 24 hours that presented themselves on
September 11th beg to be examined.

Why did the NY/NJ Port Authority not evacuate The World Trade. Center when
they had an open phone line with Newark Traffic Control Center and were told
that the second plane was bearing down on the South Tower? NY/NJ Port
Authority had at least eleven minutes of notice to begin evacuations of the
South Tower. An express elevator in The World Trade Center was able to
travel from top to bottom in one minute's time. How many lives may have been
saved, had the Port Authority acted more decisively or, rather, acted at
all.

Were F-16's and Stealth bombers seen and tracked on radar screens at
approximately 8:05am the morning of September 11th in the vicinity of the
New York metropolitan area?

Washington Air Traffic Control Center knew about the first plane before it
hit the World Trade Center. Yet, the third plane was able to fly "loop de
loops over Washington D.C. one hour and 45 minutes after Washington Center
first knew about the hijackings. After circling in this restricted airspace
- controlled and protected by the Secret Service who had an open phone line
to the FAA, how is it possible that the plane was then able to crash into
the Pentagon? Why was the Pentagon not evacuated?

Why was our Air Force so late in its response?

What, if anything, did our nation do, in a defensive military posture that
morning?

3000 innocent Americas were killed on September 11th, leaving behind
families and loved ones like myself and my daughter. There are too many
heartbreaking stories to recount. There are too many lost opportunities and
futures to withhold.

But what can be said to you today is that the families continue to suffer
each and everyday. All we have are tears and a resolve to find the answers
because we continue to look into the eyes of our young children who ask us
why? We have an obligation as parents and as a nation to provide these
innocent children with answers as to why their mother or father never
returned from work that day.

We need people to be held accountable for their failures. We need leaders
with the courage to take responsibility for what went wrong. Mistakes were
made and too many lives were lost. We must investigate these errors so that
they will never happen again. It is our responsibility as a nation to turn
the dark events of September 11th into something, from which we can all
learn and grow, so that we, as a nation, can look forward to a safe future.

In closing, I would like to add one thought. Undoubtedly, each of you here
today, because you live and work in Washington D.C. must have felt that you
were in the bull's eye on September 11th. For most of you there was a relief
at the end of that day; a relief that you and your loved ones were in safe
hands. You were the lucky ones. In your continuing investigation, please, do
not forget those of us who did not share in your good fate.

compiled on 12/15/02 by Garland Favorito, author of Our Nation Betrayed (1st
and 2nd editions)