-Caveat Lector-

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Bush Has Widened Authority of C.I.A. to Kill Terrorists

December 15, 2002
By JAMES RISEN and DAVID JOHNSTON

WASHINGTON, Dec. 14 - The Bush administration has prepared
a list of terrorist leaders the Central Intelligence Agency
is authorized to kill, if capture is impractical and
civilian casualties can be minimized, senior military and
intelligence officials said.

The previously undisclosed C.I.A. list includes key Qaeda
leaders like Osama bin Laden and his chief deputy, Ayman
al-Zawahiri, as well as other principal figures from Al
Qaeda and affiliated terrorist groups, the officials said.
The names of about two dozen terrorist leaders have
recently been on the lethal-force list, officials said.
"It's the worst of the worst," an official said.

President Bush has provided written legal authority to the
C.I.A. to hunt down and kill the terrorists without seeking
further approval each time the agency is about to stage an
operation. Some officials said the terrorist list was known
as the "high-value target list." A spokesman for the White
House declined to discuss the list or issues involving the
use of lethal force against terrorists. A spokesman for the
C.I.A. also declined to comment on the list.

Despite the authority given to the agency, Mr. Bush has not
waived the executive order banning assassinations,
officials said. The presidential authority to kill
terrorists defines operatives of Al Qaeda as enemy
combatants and thus legitimate targets for lethal force.

Mr. Bush issued a presidential finding last year, after the
Sept. 11 attacks on New York and Washington, providing the
basic executive and legal authority for the C.I.A. to
either kill or capture terrorist leaders. Initially, the
agency used that authority to hunt for Qaeda leaders in
Afghanistan. That authority was the basis for the C.I.A.'s
attempts to find and kill or capture Mr. Bin laden and
other Qaeda leaders during the war in Afghanistan.

The creation of the secret list is part of the expanded
C.I.A. effort to hunt and kill or capture Qaeda operatives
far from traditional battlefields, in countries like Yemen.

The president is not legally required to approve each name
added to the list, nor is the C.I.A. required to obtain
presidential approval for specific attacks, although
officials said Mr. Bush had been kept well informed about
the agency's operations.

In November, the C.I.A. killed a Qaeda leader in a remote
region of Yemen. A pilotless Predator aircraft operated by
the agency fired a Hellfire antitank missile at a car in
which Qaed Salim Sinan al-Harethi, also known as Abu Ali,
was riding. Mr. Harethi and five other people, including
one suspected Qaeda operative with United States
citizenship, were killed in the attack.

Mr. Harethi, a key Al Qaeda leader in Yemen who is
suspected of helping to plan the bombing of the American
destroyer Cole in 2000, is believed to have been on the
list of Qaeda leaders that the C.I.A. had been authorized
to kill. After the Predator operation in Yemen, American
officials said Mr. Bush was not required to approve the
mission before the attack, nor was he specifically
consulted.

Intelligence officials said the presidential finding
authorizing the agency to kill terrorists was not limited
to those on the list. The president has given broad
authority to the C.I.A. to kill or capture operatives of Al
Qaeda around the world, the officials said. But officials
said the group's most senior leaders on the list were the
agency's primary focus.

The list is updated periodically as the intelligence
agency, in consultation with other counterterrorism
agencies, adds new names or deletes those who are captured
or killed, or when intelligence indicates the emergence of
a new leader.

The precise criteria for adding someone to the list are
unclear, although the evidence against each person must be
clear and convincing, the officials said. The list contains
the names of some of the same people who are on the Federal
Bureau of Investigation's list of most wanted terror
suspects, although the lists are prepared independently.

Officials said the C.I.A., working with the F.B.I., the
military and foreign governments, will seek to capture
terrorists when possible and bring them into custody.

Counterterrorism officials prefer to capture senior Qaeda
leaders for interrogation, if possible. They regard killing
as a last resort in cases in which the location of a Qaeda
operative is known but capture would be too dangerous or
logistically impossible, the officials said.

Under current intelligence law, the president must sign a
finding to provide the legal basis for covert actions to be
carried out by the C.I.A. In response to past abuses, the
decision-making process has grown into a highly formalized
review in which the White House, Justice Department, State
Department, Pentagon and C.I.A. take part.

The administration must notify Congressional leaders of any
covert action finding signed by the president. In the case
of the presidential finding authorizing the use of lethal
force against members of Al Qaeda, Congressional leaders
have been notified as required, the officials said.

The new emphasis on covert action is an outgrowth of more
aggressive attitudes regarding the use of lethal force in
the campaign against terrorism. Moreover, such operations
have become easier to conduct because of technological
advances like the development of the Predator, which has
evolved from a camera-carrying surveillance drone into an
armed robot warplane controlled by operators safely
stationed thousands of miles from any attack.

The development of the armed Predator drone has made it
much easier for the C.I.A. to pursue and kill terrorists in
ways that would almost certainly not have been tried in the
past for fear of the potential for American casualties. In
the strike in Yemen, for example, Mr. Harethi was living in
a remote, lawless region where the Yemeni government had
little control. Not long before the Predator strike, Yemeni
forces attacked Qaeda operatives in that same area and were
beaten back with many casualties.

The more aggressive approach to counterterrorism is showing
results.

George J. Tenet, the director of central intelligence, said
in a speech last week that more than one-third of the top
leadership of Al Qaeda identified before the war in
Afghanistan had been killed or captured.

One recent success, he said, came with the capture of Al
Qaeda's operations chief for the Persian Gulf region who
had been involved in the planning of the 1998 bombings of
two American embassies in East Africa as well as the
bombing of the Cole in 2000. Since September 2001, Mr.
Tenet added, more than 3,000 suspected Qaeda operatives or
their associates have been detained in more than 100
countries.

But the decision by the Bush administration to authorize,
under certain circumstances, the killing of terrorist
leaders threatens to thrust it into a murky area of
national security and international law that is almost
never debated in public because the covert operations are
known only to a small circle of executive branch and
Congressional officials.

In the past, the Bush administration has criticized the
targeting of Palestinian leaders by Israeli forces. But one
former senior official said such criticism had diminished
as the administration sought to move aggressively against
Al Qaeda.

Still, some national security lawyers said the practice of
drawing up lists of people who are subject to lethal force
might blur the lines drawn by government's ban on
assassinations. That prohibition was first ordered by
President Gerald Ford, and in the view of some lawyers, it
applies not only to foreign leaders but to civilians.
(American officials have said in the past that Saddam
Hussein would be a legitimate target in a war, as he is a
military commander as well as Iraq's president.)

"The inevitable complication of a politically declared but
legally undeclared war is the blurring of the distinction
between enemy combatants and other nonstate actors," said
Harold Hongju Koh, a professor of international law at Yale
University and a former State Department official in
President Bill Clinton's administration. "The question is,
what factual showing will demonstrate that they had warlike
intentions against us and who sees that evidence before any
action is taken?"

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/15/international/15INTE.html?ex=1041002892&ei=1&en=3dacd7f3890c90b1

HOW TO ADVERTISE
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company