-Caveat Lector-

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/stevechapman/sc20021219.shtml

QUICK LINKS: HOME | NEWS | OPINION | RIGHTPAGES | CHAT | WHAT'S NEW
townhall.com

Steve Chapman (back to story)

December 19, 2002

Bush's exercise in missing the point

George W. Bush is the first president with a master's in business administration, and
somewhere along the line he mastered the art of marketing. Judging from his handling of
national security issues, he could sell MTV to the Amish.

For the last year, the administration has used Sept. 11 as an excuse for going to war
against Iraq, which makes about as much sense as using a fire extinguisher to battle a
flood. But sensible or not, his pitch has worked. An October poll by the Pew Research
Center for the People & the Press found that 66 percent of Americans think Saddam
Hussein played a role in the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

They believe this in spite of the fact that our intelligence agencies say there was no
connection. Reports of a meeting in Prague between an Iraqi intelligence officer and
lead
hijacker Mohammed Atta turned out to be groundless. Kenneth Pollack, a former CIA
analyst whose book, "The Threatening Storm," makes the case for invading Iraq, is
honest
enough to state plainly that Saddam Hussein "was not involved in the terrorist attacks
of
Sept. 11, 2001."

But last week, after months of fruitless efforts to tie the terrorism can to Hussein's
tail,
someone in the administration managed to sell The Washington Post a story that Iraq
recently shipped nerve gas to al Qaeda. This is hard to believe on its face -- since it
assumes that Hussein would shun cooperation with al Qaeda until the moment when the
world's attention is fixed on him and he is most likely to be caught.

Even the Post's sources admitted that the information was "open to interpretation" and
"not
backed by definitive evidence." Once the Post story broke, an unidentified U.S.
intelligence
official interviewed by The Financial Times dismissed it: "I can't give you any morsel
of
information that supports this." For this puff of vapor, we're going to war?

Well, no. We're going to war regardless. But the administration figures if it offers
enough
reasons to go after Saddam Hussein, people won't notice that none of them is
convincing. A
hundred times zero is zero in math, but in politics, nothing piled on nothing can
eventually
add up to something.

The president has shown a consistent knack for turning chicken feathers into chicken
salad.
This week, he announced the deployment of a ballistic missile defense that is supposed
protect the American people from attack. "September 11, 2001, underscored that our
nation faces unprecedented threats," he said by way of justifying this venture.

He's right, of course. And he'd be right if he pointed out that the tornadoes that
killed 36
people from Louisiana to Pennsylvania last month illustrated our vulnerability to
extreme
weather. This system of interceptors is as relevant to tornadoes as it is to al Qaeda.
Sept.
11 illustrated terrible dangers -- which missile defense does nothing to address.

The attacks proved how much damage terrorists (or enemy governments) can inflict
without intercontinental ballistic missiles. If they want to detonate a bomb on
American soil,
they'd find it much easier to transport it by airplane, boat, truck or suitcase than
to build an
expensive and highly visible long-distance delivery system. They'd also find it safer,
since a
missile, unlike a suicide bomber, can easily be traced back to its source.

The real danger we face is that these violent fanatics, who have done so much damage
with low- tech methods, may acquire far more destructive weapons -- biological,
chemical
or nuclear. But missile defense, which does not promise to be cheap, will only drain
resources from that fight.

A war with Iraq won't help either. In fact, it could be the best thing that ever
happened to al
Qaeda.

In the first place, it will divert American troops and attention away from the main
threat to
a peripheral one. In the second place, it will create chaos on the ground in Iraq. As
Saddam
Hussein's regime loses control of the country, a lot of military officers who have
custody of
Iraq's chemical and biological weapons will have the chance to get rich selling them
to the
highest bidder -- who just might be named Osama bin Laden.

Bush claims his approach to Iraq and missile defense will make us safer against the
"unprecedented threats" we so painfully discovered 15 months ago. But suppose we had
toppled Saddam Hussein in 1991 and built a foolproof missile defense years ago. How
many
lives would have been saved on Sept. 11? None. What good will these efforts do to avert
the next attack? You can guess.

©2002 Creators Syndicate, Inc.

Contact Steve Chapman | Read his biography

townhall.com

QUICK LINKS: HOME | NEWS | OPINION | RIGHTPAGES | CHAT | WHAT'S NEW