-Caveat Lector-

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/357/metro/Lennon_picks_sites_for_sale_eyes_court_te
st_in_abuse_cases+.shtml

>>>This makes the Catholic Church a "for profit" organisation, no?  A<:>E<:>R<<<

THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING

Lennon picks sites for sale, eyes court test in abuse cases

By Michael Rezendes and Walter V. Robinson, Globe Staff, 12/23/2002

In a gesture aimed at assuring 500 alleged victims of clergy sexual abuse that the
Boston
Archdiocese is committed to a financial settlement of their claims, the newly named
apostolic administrator, Bishop Richard G. Lennon, said yesterday that he has selected
church properties for sale and directed officials to put them on the market ''as soon
as
possible.''

Lennon would not say which properties will be sold, but said he is seeking - in his
first week
on the job - to demonstrate his resolve to settle the growing number of sexual abuse
cases.
''I chose a number of properties and asked the chancellor to go forward and market them
as soon as possible, so we can show our commitment to this,'' Lennon said.

But Lennon also said that, in a move designed to include the church's insurance
companies
in a comprehensive settlement, church lawyers today will serve attorneys of alleged
victims
with notice of a motion to have all their claims dismissed based on the US
Constitution's
guarantee of freedom of religion.

Lennon said the motion is being filed to satisfy insurance companies' requirements
that the
church avail itself of every significant defense before contributing to the settlement
of
claims.

But he insisted that the first priority of the archdiocese is to reach such a financial
agreement.

''The reason we're serving the motion primarily is to keep the insurance companies in
the
loop,'' Lennon said in an interview. ''There's no way the archdiocese can financially
come
up with the money that is needed to have fair settlements on its own. We need the
insurance companies.''

A law firm advising the archdiocese has concluded that the church has at least $90
million
available for a settlement, most of it through coverage provided by two companies,
Travelers and Kemper. And lawyers for the alleged victims have estimated that a
comprehensive settlement covering the 500 pending claims could exceed $100 million.

Lennon said that he believes, as a matter of principle, in the First Amendment defense
advanced in the motion to be served today, but that the primary purpose of the motion
is to
satisfy the insurance companies.

''Our first priority is to respond to victims and survivors,'' Lennon said. ''Yet,
what we've put
together for the motion is substantial. ... The document is a document of integrity and
substance.''

The Rev. Robert W. Oliver Jr., a canon law professor at St. John Seminary, accompanied
Lennon in the interview at the seminary in Brighton.

Oliver said church leaders fear that plaintiffs and their lawyers in the sexual abuse
cases
will interpret the motion literally and not see it as a strategy to assure the
participation of
insurance companies in a settlement. ''The risk is they'll think we're walking away,
and
what we're actually doing is the opposite,'' he said.

When told of the church's plan last evening, Roderick MacLeish Jr. - a lawyer with
Greenberg Traurig, which represents about half of the 500 people with pending claims
against the archdiocese - said that the step outlined by Lennon was not unexpected. He
said
he believes Lennon's explanation.

''I would not criticize Bishop Lennon for taking this step,'' MacLeish said. ''I
believe he is
genuine and wants to reach a resolution of these cases. I want to give him a chance to
do
it.''

MacLeish said that Suffolk Superior Court Judge Constance M. Sweeney, who is handling
all
the abuse claims against the archdiocese, had earlier set today as the deadline for the
archdiocese to formally notify the plaintiffs' lawyers that it will seek to have all
claims
dismissed on First Amendment grounds.

MacLeish also said he does not believe that other lawyers for alleged victims will
criticize
the move, despite Lennon's evident concern that the church's latest legal maneuver
would
be seen by some as a way for the church to shelter itself from victims' claims.

MacLeish noted that the First Amendment argument has already been rejected by several
Superior Court judges in Massachusetts, including Sweeney when she ruled in November
2001 in favor of the Globe's motion to unseal church records in the case of defrocked
priest
John J. Geoghan.

It was only a month ago when Sweeney, using unusually harsh language, denied a church
motion on constitutional grounds to shield 11,000 pages of church documents on priests
accused of sexual misconduct. Cardinal Bernard F. Law resigned as archbishop of Boston
after the documents were made public.

Although no Massachusetts appellate court has ruled on the merits of the church's First
Amendment claim, MacLeish said he believes it is unlikely that Sweeney would rule
favorably on the motion.

In other states, he added, the trend has been for appellate courts to reject church
arguments that it ought to be immune from civil claims resulting from the assignment
of its
priests because of its First Amendment protection against government interference in
religion.

''We are not asking the court to regulate the liturgy,'' MacLeish said. ''We are only
arguing
that the court has a primary role when the church knowingly puts children within reach
of
child molesters.''

Lennon said that when church lawyers serve the motion today, he will enlist the
assistance
of parish priests in explaining to parishioners and alleged victims that the filing is
aimed at
guaranteeing participation of its insurance carriers in a comprehensive settlement and
not
on actually having the claims dismissed.

In addition, Lennon renewed his call for a moratorium on the legal battle between the
church and the plaintiffs' lawyers, so that all parties can focus on negotiating a
settlement,
a suggestion he made last Wednesday in his first public remarks as interim leader of
the
archdiocese.

But the moratorium remains only a possibility. After Lennon's initial request,
MacLeish and
church lawyers argued over when Law will be available to resume his pretrial testimony
in
lawsuits filed by alleged victims of the Rev. Paul R. Shanley.

And Mitchell Garabedian, who represents about 20 percent of those with pending abuse
claims against the archdiocese, said yesterday that although he will participate in
settlement talks, he will not agree to a moratorium on litigation.

''Although many individuals would like to see these cases settle, any delay in the
litigation
will only irreparably harm the plaintiff,'' Garabedian said.

In any case, Lennon said, the archdiocese will move ahead with selling church property
and
begin new talks with its insurance carriers to determine how much they are willing to
contribute to a settlement.

''We are totally committed to settling all the claims with all the victims in a just,
equitable
way,'' Lennon said. ''In no way has that changed.''

This story ran on page A1 of the Boston Globe on 12/23/2002.
© Copyright 2002 Globe Newspaper Company.