-Caveat Lector-

News |  Sport | Argument | Education | Money | Travel | Enjoyment

Home  > News  > Europe
http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/story.jsp?story=372790
Gypsy women 'forced into sterilisation'

Slovakian women say they are being operated on against their will.

By Julian O'Halloran

Roma, or Gypsy, women in Slovakia claim they are being subjected to
forced sterilisation, according to a new report to be launched in Brussels
this week. Research by human rights organisations has found evidence
strongly suggesting that many hundreds of Roma women could have been
sterilised against their will.

While sterilisation was used in both the Nazi and Communist eras to curb
the Roma population in Europe, there will be deep concern among MPs
and MEPs that such practices are continuing in the 21st century,
especially in a country that is one of Britain's putative European partners.

EU officials have for some time been reporting that Slovakia respects
human rights. But, while expressing concerns about the treatment of up
to half a million Roma, monitors seem to have been unaware of the scale of
the alleged medical crimes against Roma women. Slovak, Czech and US
researchers behind the report believe that some medical staff have taken
their own measures to limit Roma population growth, while the authorities
turn a blind eye.

In a freezing one-room wooden shack in the Roma settlement of Richnova
in eastern Slovakia, I met Renata Horthovathova, a 32- year-old mother who
went into her local hospital in April last year to have twins by Caesarean
section. After the successful operation, Renata and her husband Josef
were ecstatic about their new babies. They already had one child and had
always wanted more.

But five days after the operation, as she packed to go home, she was told
by a doctor she must sign a form before leaving. "I told him that a woman
leaving hospital doesn't need to sign a form," Renata recalls. "But he told
me that I must sign because I had been sterilised, and I would not be
having any more children. I was shocked. Then I got angry. I asked him how
he dare do something like that when I hadn't even asked for it."

She showed me her hospital discharge form, which my translator confirmed
contained the medical phrase for sterilisation.

In the same settlement, a 19-year-old mother alleged she too had been
sterilised without her consent during a Caesarean operation two years
ago. Ingrid Ginova looks little more than a child herself, but her child-
bearing life is already over. She says she only learned of the sterilisation
five days after it had happened, when complications set in and she was
transferred to hospital in Kosice. "A doctor checked me. He told me that
my tubes were tied, that I was sterilised and I would have no more
children."

Ingrid and Renata were among 230 women who gave testimony to a team of
eight lawyers and researchers visiting 40 Roma settlements in Slovakia last
summer. The team's co-ordinator, Christina Zampas, of the Centre for
Reproductive Rights based in New York, says that 110 of the mothers
interviewed said they had been sterilised without consent, or without full
consent. "We met women who, while they were on the operating table,
were told to sign a consent form," said Ms Zampas. "The testimony we
found was disturbingly consistent. It's appalling that this is happening in
Europe in 2003."

At Krompachy hospital, where Ingrid and Renata had their Caesareans, the
head of the baby unit denied the allegations. Dr Jan Kralik insisted that no
women had had their tubes tied against their will since he had become
head of obstetrics in 1996. But he said he feared a Roma population
explosion. When I raised the cases of the two women, he said: "It probably
happened at another place."

The human rights team obtained power of attorney from some of the
women to view their medical records. But most hospitals refused access.
Ms Zampas said: "The authorities must hand over these records. If they do
not ... it's a clear indication they have something to hide. Because of the
severity of these human rights violations Slovakia needs to address these
issues. If it decides not to, international bodies will."

Human rights groups are now preparing a number of court cases, and warn
that if they fail in Slovakia's courts they will take them to the European
Court of Human Rights.

When suspicions of forced sterilisation were aireda year ago, the
government in Bratislava shrugged them off and demanded firm evidence.
Now, with the evidence and with all eyes on entry to the EU, they may
have a much bigger problem on their hands.

Julian O'Halloran's report will be on 'The World Tonight', Radio 4, at 10pm
on Tuesday

Also in Europe

Zimbabwe sanctions face collapse after EU rift
UN seeks flag and anthem for Cyprus
UK in sanctions deal over Mugabe visit
Belgian coast faces oil disaster from sunken cargo ship
Gypsy women 'forced into sterilisation'

Legal | Contact us | Using our Content | © 2001 Independent Digital (UK)
Ltd
Forwarded for your information.  The text and intent of the article
have to stand on their own merits.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do
not believe simply because it has been handed down for many genera-
tions.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and
rumoured by many.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is
written in Holy Scriptures.  Do not believe in anything merely on
the authority of teachers, elders or wise men.  Believe only after
careful observation and analysis, when you find that it agrees with
reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it." The Buddha on Belief,
from the Kalama Sut