> Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 19:22:16 +1300
> From: nebojsa <>
> Subject: Saddam should be on trial in The Hague next to Slobodan Milosevic
>     (says a US spy Richard Butler)
>
> Saddam should be on trial: Butler
>
> 28jan03
>
> FORMER UN weapons inspector Richard Butler has called on the international
community to strive for an alternative method to war in deposing Iraqi
leader Saddam Hussein.

> Mr Butler today suggested similar action to that under way against former
Yugoslav president Slobodan Milosevic, who is on trial for crimes against
humanity before the UN war crimes tribunal in The Hague.
> "In a more ideal world Saddam should be on trial in The Hague next to
Slobodan Milosevic for crimes against humanity," Mr Butler told the ABC.

> "It's an established fact that his actions have led to the death of a
million people.

> "Why isn't the world community saying you have to yield this man for
trial?"

> Mr Butler praised the efforts of UN chief weapons inspector Hans Blix, who
today told the UN Security Council Iraq had not accepted international
demands to disarm.

> Dr Blix, the head of the UN disarmament agency, said there were signs Iraq
still had anthrax stocks, and dismissed a 12,000-page declaration made by
Baghdad to the United Nations on its weapons programs.

> Mr Butler said the Iraqi leadership had persisted with "denial in
principle and then deception in practice" when it came to UN inspection and
verification.

> "What Hans Blix has said is that Iraq has been reasonably cooperative on
the surface but he complained sharply about their failure to come forward
with the material that will fill the gap in their declaration," he said.

> "And I agree with him, I think that's a matter of deep concern.
>
> "I think it just leaps off the page that Iraq has still not yet taken that
central government decision that they need to take which says `yes, we'll
give over those weapons, we'll give them across'."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,5902163%255E401,00
.html