-Caveat Lector- http://www.larouchepub.com/eiw/public/2003/2003_1-9/2003-4/this_wk.html

>From Volume 2, Issue Number 4 of Electronic Intelligence Weekly, Published Jan. 27, 2003

This Week You Need To Know

The Lights Dim; The Curtain Begins To Rise

Less than three months ago, the talk was of a major Republican electoral victory, led by a highly popular Republican President. Now, all that is evaporating.

One credible report has it that Bush's political technician Karl Rove recently hit the panic button, after reviewing disastrous poll numbers, which showed a rapid collapse in support for the Iraq war, and a growing sense that Bush was fixated on Iraq—to the point of ignoring other crises, including, first and foremost, the economic collapse.

Rove said Bush must get Iraq behind him fast, to refocus on other problems, or he will lose the 2004 elections. The self-deluded President hopes to do this through a quick war in the near-term, followed by an easy victory. Notwithstanding this, the war can still be successfully stalled by the new Eurasian combination of France, Germany, China, and Russia, along with the institutions of the American Presidency, military and civilian, which have been instrumental in delaying it over the past months.

But the only way the drift towards war can actually be stopped, is through a reversal of economic and financial policy.

The economic reality of which Karl Rove got a glimpse, through the prism of electoral calculations, was summed up as follows by EIR founder Lyndon LaRouche, in the course of an address at Jaipur University in India, on Jan 21.

"First of all, the United States is bankrupt. Every major bank in the United States is bankrupt. Virtually every major bank in Europe is bankrupt. This means the Federal Reserve system is bankrupt. This means that the European banking system, monetary systems, are bankrupt. The Bank of England is bankrupt. Most of the banks of the world, outside of China, are in bankruptcy, or close to it. Whole countries are disappearing. Peru is crushed. Colombia is crushed. Mexico is being crushed. A great genocide dominates all of sub-Saharan Africa. You know some of the conditions in Asia, because you suffer from them here. The world is being crushed.

"In the United States itself, 46 states of the 50 Federal states are bankrupt, and there is no hope of balancing their budget. Whether by tax increases, or tax decreases. Makes no difference. Budget increases, or decreases. It makes no difference. The United States is bankrupt. Forty-six states of the 50 are officially bankrupt. Now, we've had enough discussions with a few governors and their circles, to know some of the details of this thing. It's bankrupt!

"Typical of that, at the end of this month: If the Congress does not pass and save the Amtrak system, the United States will no longer have a rail system. There will no longer be a national rail system; we're practically there already. We have United Airlines in bankruptcy, and American Airlines going into bankruptcy. If they're put into bankruptcy, they're being plunged into cuts or competition with other airlines that are not yet bankrupt. If this process continues, the entire U.S. airline system will go bankrupt, and they'll be largely disintegrated.

"Our power generation and production systems are disintegrating. We have a water crisis beyond belief. The Southwest of the United States is in a tremendous water crisis. There's no way of managing it. The ground is sinking in the large aquifers, from being overdrawn, as in California—sucking the aquifers is what California has done to the other states.

"We have a crisis in the health-care system. We're killing people, to try to balance budgets. And the killing is being done by domestic interests which are looting the health-care system, to help guarantee profits. The lower 80% of the population of the United States, and similar family-income brackets, have been collapsing at an accelerating rate, since 1977. We have a social catastrophe. We have an economic catastrophe."

There is no solution short of the reforms which LaRouche has advocated with increasing specificity over the past more than 30 years. The legal, regulatory, and treaty frameworks developed since 1964 must be repealed in favor of a regulated, protectionist, and perfectly sovereign system like the 1945-64 Bretton Woods system. The Federal Reserve, the other central banks, and major financial institutions must be declared bankrupt, and placed in bankruptcy reorganization. Rather than depending on private credit, large-scale government credits must be issued, directed towards building or rebuilding required infrastructure, thus rebuilding employment and the tax base of governments. Globalization must be scrapped. Led by the U.S., nations must come together to put in place a corresponding protectionist international order of sovereign states, with relatively fixed currency-exchange rates, and a gold-reserve system. The Eurasian Land-Bridge will function as a great infrastructure-motor for the world economy.

It won't happen, you say? If you are right, then congratulations—you have just written your own obituary! But, let me ask you: Did you foresee the crisis of the Presidency with which we began this column? Did you foresee that the threatened war against Iraq would be "jammed up," as it has been to this point? Did you foresee the economic disaster which precipitated it, or were you one of those who spoke of a recovery? Has the crisis perhaps outrun your habits of thought?

In Jaipur, LaRouche said, "Approximately one week from today, in Washington, D.C., from a Washington hotel auditorium at 1 o'clock, I will deliver a State of the Union report on the condition of the United States, which will last about three hours, as such events last. It will be a challenge to the President of the United States, who at 8 o'clock, that same evening, is scheduled to present his report on the State of the Union. I can assure you there will be a very distinct contrast, and there will be a very serious debate about the difference between my views and his."

LaRouche's State of the Union message can be heard live on Tuesday, January 28, at 1:00 p.m. EST (12 noon CST; 11:00 a.m. MST; and 10:00 a.m. PST) at www.larouchein2004.com.

<A HREF="">www.ctrl.org</A> DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

Let us please be civil and as always, Caveat Lector. ======================================================================== Archives Available at: http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html <A HREF="">Archives of [EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>