Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 12:36:28 -0700
From: Media Research Center IS Staff
    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: MRC Web News - Our Latest Analysis

[mrcgoldlogo.gif]

Media Research Center
America's Media Watchdog
Bringing Political Balance and
Responsibility to the Media

MRC Web News: Our Latest Analysis
March 17 , 2003
…Daily updates on MRC's latest analysis

Today’s CyberAlert:
http://www.mediaresearch.org/cyberalerts/2003/cyb20030317.asp

1. Jennings Advances His Anti-War Agenda as Sunday Night Anchor
The summit in the Azores, Peter Jennings sniffed Sunday night, was just
“a summit of the convinced, some people said, when the time might have
been used to work on those who are not convinced that war is the way to
go.” Jennings also pressed a retired Lt. General to agree that “the U.S.
would be somewhat readier if we waited a little longer” and highlighted a
small anti-war protest as he insisted there is one “somewhere every day
now.” From Baghdad, Dan Harris trumpeted Iraq's “continued cooperation
with the weapons inspectors” before an ABC reporter discovered that in a
small Indiana town “many...are not convinced the man they helped elect
President is making the right choice when it comes to war.”

2. George W. the “Dumbest” President? Plausible to Andy Rooney
60 Minutes commentator Andy Rooney admitted on Sunday night that he found
perfectly plausible the Internet claim that, based on his IQ, George W.
Bush was the “dumbest” President in the past 60 years. “It sounded
possible and I foolishly tried to find the Levenstein Institute,” Rooney
conceded in noting how the charge was a “hoax.”

3. CNBC Notes Difference in Media Interest in Moran vs. Lott
CBS on Friday night picked up on Democratic Congressman Jim Moran's
blaming of Jews for driving the new war on Iraq, leaving ABC as the only
network evening newscast to yet touch the controversy. And on CNBC, Joe
Johns noted the similarity with the Trent Lott case but differing media
reaction: "Moran's comments were the most public recent blunder by a
member of Congress since Senator Trent Lott lost his leadership position
for racially insensitive remarks in December. But Moran's mistake has so
far failed to generate as much attention as Lott's did."

4. Boston Globe Editor Defends Reporting as Helpful to Hussein
Hey Saddam, be nice to us journalists since we are helping you spread
your propaganda! Reacting to Iraq's expulsion of a Boston Globe reporter
for using a satellite phone in his hotel room to file a story, the
paper's Foreign Editor, Jim Smith, told the AP: "It was a story that
should have been regarded as useful for Iraq in telling its story and
responding to allegations that it had a very impressive and dangerous
drone."

See today’s entire CyberAlert at:
http://www.mediaresearch.org/cyberalerts/2003/cyb20030317.asp

Media Research Center DisHonor Awards On Sale Now!
Tickets are now on sale for the MRC's
"DisHonor Awards: Roasting the Most Outrageously Biased Liberal Reporters
of 2002."

The 3rd Annual "DisHonor Awards" will take place the evening of
Thursday, March 27 at the Omni Shoreham Hotel in Washington, DC.

For all the details:
http://www.mediaresearch.org/notablequotables/dishonor/03/info.asp

JOIN THE MRC TODAY
The MRC has a unique opportunity that would greatly benefit our work to
expose the left-wing agenda of the national media. But it can only be
realized with your support
Become a Supporter in Our Quest for Truth and Balance!
https://secure.mediaresearch.org/Donation/Order/MediaResearch25-27/mck-cgi/mrcd
nate.asp

Notable Quotables
ABC’s “Straightforward” Question

“In the past several weeks, your policy on Iraq has generated opposition
from the governments of France, Russia, China, Germany, Turkey, the Arab
League, and many other countries; opened a rift at NATO and at the UN;
and drawn millions of ordinary citizens around the world into the streets
in anti-war protests. May I ask what went wrong that so many governments
and peoples around the world now not only disagree with you very
strongly, but see the U.S. under your leadership as an arrogant power?”

Find out who said the quote and many more, read today's Notable Quotables
http://www.mediaresearch.org/notablequotables/2003/nq20030317.asp

And, check out the Adobe PDF version:
http://www.mediaresearch.org/notablequotables/2003/pdf/Mar172003.pdf

TELL A FRIEND TODAY
If you enjoy our daily Web news update, pass it on to your friends.

Let them know they can sign up at
http://www.mrc.org/cybersub.asp#webnews

Keep up with the latest news and commentary from the Cybercast News
Service. Sign-up for the CNSNews.com E-Brief, published twice-daily,
Monday through Friday, and as breaking news stories occur.
http://www.cnsnews.com/e-brief.asp

                                   Publisher

http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/">ctrl</A>