-Caveat Lector-

March 20, 2003

Senator Deplores Attack on Iraq

By THE NEW YORK TIMES

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/20/international/worldspecial/20BYRD.ht
ml

ASHINGTON, March 19 — Robert C. Byrd of West Virginia, the senior
member of the Senate, said today that he mourned the prospects for his
nation at the start of the war with Iraq that he has long opposed.

Mr. Byrd, a Democrat first elected in 1958, said the Bush administration
had made the world a more dangerous place by flaunting the nation's
superpower status and asserting a new doctrine of pre-emption without
international sanction.

"Today I weep for my country," Mr. Byrd, said, in his latest floor speech
against the war. "I have watched the events of recent months with a
heavy, heavy heart. No more is the image of America one of a strong yet
benevolent peacekeeper. The image of America has changed."

Now, he said, the nation is mistrusted around the world, its intentions are
questioned. The administration has forgotten, he said, that the country's
true power lies in its ability to inspire, not intimidate.

"When did we become a nation that ignores and berates our friends and
calls them irrelevant?" he asked. "When did we decide to risk undermining
international order by adopting a radical doctrinaire approach to using our
awesome military might?"

Mr. Byrd said he would pray for the safety of American troops and
innocent civilians in Iraq.

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company | Privacy Policy
Forwarded for your information.  The text and intent of the article
have to stand on their own merits.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do
not believe simply because it has been handed down for many genera-
tions.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and
rumoured by many.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is
written in Holy Scriptures.  Do not believe in anything merely on
the authority of teachers, elders or wise men.  Believe only after
careful observation and analysis, when you find that it agrees with
reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it." The Buddha on Belief,
from the Kalama Sutra

http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/">ctrl</A>