-Caveat Lector-

>From http://www.rollcall.com

Livingston Confesses Affairs

By Jim VandeHei

House Speaker Bob Livingston (R-La.) tonight plans to disclose to the
Republican Conference that he has had sexual affairs in his past and will
offer to resign his post, according to GOP sources.

Livingston confirmed to Roll Call, "When I did an early interview with the
media after announcing my candidacy for Speaker I told a reporter that I
was running for Speaker, not SAINTHOOD. There was a good reason for those
words." <Picture: Bob Livingston>

"I have decided to inform my colleagues and constituents that during my
33-year marriage to my wife, Bonnie, I have on occasion strayed from my
marriage and doing so nearly cost me my marriage and my family," he said.

"I want to assure everyone that these indiscretions were not with employees
on my staff and I have never been asked to testify under oath about them,"
he wrote.

Sources said Livingston will offer his resignation to the entire GOP
Conference. But Majority Whip Tom DeLay (R-Texas) will stand up and say
Livingston should not resign his post, sources said.

Sources said the affairs occurred during Livingston's Congressional career.

Sources say Livingston was called recently and told a story about his past
could be coming out soon.

Livingston first came to Congress after winning a special election in 1977
because an independent candidate backed by labor unions siphoned off
support from Democratic nominee Ron Faucheaux.

Livingston was nominated to be the next Speaker by the GOP Conference Nov.
18.

A<>E<>R

The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes
but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust