-Caveat Lector-

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Here's your NWO at work. Notice the part about the cutting of food production.... time
to starve the people to consolidate control.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

Explore more of Starbucks at Starbucks.com.
http://www.starbucks.com/default.asp?ci=1015

European Union Votes 14-1 to Reform Agricultural Policy

June 27, 2003
By THOMAS FULLER

BRUSSELS, June 26 - Fourteen of the European Union's 15
governments voted today to overhaul their $49 billion
common agricultural policy. And they challenged the United
States to match what officials called their "historic"
reforms. Only Portugal voted against the new rules.

Emerging from 16 hours of negotiations, officials said they
had agreed to a new system that would reduce subsidies to
wealthy farmers and impose stricter environmental
standards. Food production would also be cut back.

Soon after the deal was announced in Luxembourg, Franz
Fischler, the chief architect of the reforms, challenged
the Bush administration, which last year announced it would
increase farm spending by $170 billion over the next
decade, to enact its own reforms.

"There are a lot of schoolmasters who have been telling us
that we have to do our homework," Mr. Fischler said,
referring to American criticism of Europe's farm subsidy
program. "You should practice what you preach."

The reforms do nothing to change the European Union policy
of subsidizing the sale of food on world markets. That
means, experts and activists said, that farmers in poor
countries will still find it difficult to compete with
cheap sugar, wheat and cotton from Europe as well as the
United States.

"Farmers will continue to produce more than we need and
will continue to dump it on the developing world," said Sam
Barratt, a researcher at Oxfam, a British charity and
activist group.

The common agricultural policy, which began four decades
ago, currently subsidizes farmers on the basis of the crops
they grow and the amount they produce.

Under the new system, farmers may still choose what and how
much to grow, but their subsidies will be indexed to
payments from previous years. Growing more food will not
automatically earn them larger earnings.

Subsidies to large farms will be cut back and the money
saved will be used for "rural development projects."
Farmers' payments will also depend on how well they treat
their animals and on environmental criteria.

The World Wildlife Federation, an international
environmental group, characterized the environmental
provisions of the reforms as "two steps forward,
one-and-a-half steps backward." In a statement, the group
called the funds dedicated to rural development inadequate
and predicted that the plan to encourage more
environmentally sound farming would not work.

Talks on reforming agricultural policies began last summer
and were mainly supported by Britain, the Netherlands and
other northern European countries.

Until last week France, considered the chief beneficiary of
the program, fiercely opposed the reforms. Analysts said
that France had agreed to the deal only after winning
concessions on protection for wheat farmers.

Reforming the program was seen as a necessary step before
the European Union grows to 25 members next May. Poland,
one of the new entrants, has more farmers than France and
Germany combined. The reforms were also considered a
prerequisite for progress on global trade talks.

Members of the World Trade Organization are scheduled to
meet in Cancún, Mexico, in September, to discuss
agricultural issues.

"What is the United States ready to put on the table?"
Pascal Lamy, the European Union's trade commissioner, asked
today, anticipating the meeting.

"The reform gives me a very useful credit line in
negotiations," Mr. Lamy said. "But I can't use the credit
unless others put concessions on the table."

Mr. Fischler agreed. He said it was now up to other
developed countries to reform their farm programs. After
the European Union, the United States and Japan spend the
most to support their farmers.

"These reforms send out a clear signal to our trade
partners worldwide," Mr. Fischler said. But he warned, "We
are not going to throw our markets wide open."

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/27/international/europe/27EURO.html?ex=1057702557&ei=1&en=00fe8094f98e8e3e

http://www.nytimes.com/ads/nytcirc/index.html

HOW TO ADVERTISE
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company

www.ctrl.org