-Caveat Lector-
The light on the hill concept is perhaps what Robert Schuller was building with his Crystal Cathedral?

The cathedral kind of represents the mini-me version of the "City of God".

Within its walls, the unknowable, untouchable god becomes immanent and tangible.

Christian Cathedral-ism is undoubtedly reminiscent of Jewish Temple-ism.

The most holy place recycled as the alter, and the outer court was re-pew-ed for the masses.

In the Romish Oligarchy, the sacrifice of the Mass continued as the domain of the priests as were the Jewish sanctuary services administered by the priests. The Jewish Day of Atonement, which occurred once a year was recycled into the more frequent sacrifice of the Mass. Roman Catholicism also recycled the Empires pantheon of gods and rebadged them as Catholic saints; it is thoroughly pagan-ridden.

The theology of the cathedral spoke to the worshiper through the panorama of sight that moved the emotions, rather than in rational discourses of philosophical and theological constructs. In many respects the neo-Temple itself became the focus of worship, rather than what it was meant represent.

The religious, being closer to god, always want to the ones who dictate what "proper" city life ought to be. In medieval England a city was not considered truly "a city" unless it had a cathedral.

Then there was Dante, an angry, bitter man. Dante was a victim of a papal land grab in Tuscany by Boniface, a man who even contemporary historians say conned his way onto the Papal Throne. The poet was forced into voluntary exile and could never returned to his native Florence because his return would have meant he would be burned alive at the stake by the pope's minions.

That's why Dante wrote his Divine Comedy. He took the city-state that he knew and more importantly the rich, famous and infamous people of that city-state and teleported them into a narrative where he could posit each one of those people into a framework of Divine Judgment. The people he liked went to Heaven, while his enemies and the truly wicked received their just rewards in the darkest, iciest bowels of Hell.

Dante's  Divine Comedy is a vernacular representation of the theology of the cathedral. It was a road map between hell and heaven for the illiterate faithful. It is also Ptolemaic; that is, the earth is the centre of the theological universe. The universe exists for Humanity. And Man is next to God.

Not until the Reformation did the NT notion of the "priesthood of all believers" come to be revived in a substantive way. Each individual was responsible for their own salvation and relationship to god. No need of priestly mediators.

"Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?" 1 Corinthians 3:16

Naturally, this idea was to send the Reformation believers on a collision course with the Papal Oligarchy that had now socially entrenched itself and developed a symbiotic relationship with powerful fiefdoms and rulers. Basically, the competition threatened to put the priests (as mediators between god and man) out of business.

The Reformation sowed the seeds of new Liberalising movements which stressed the importance of, and focused on; the individual. The war has been raging ever since, and the Temple builders have made vast headways in the West.

Instead of lights on a hill, they are the prisons and mausoleums of god, erected by human egotists and megalomaniacs seeking riches and their own apotheosis.

"All in all it was just a brick in the wall.
All in all it was all just bricks in the wall.

All in all it's just another brick in the wall.
All in all you're just another brick in the wall "  --Pink Floyd.

Dave.